Drain Water in Diswasher

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveC1

Reaction score
Hi, I had a kitchen sink blockage that sent drain water into the Dishwasher. While I don't have an air gap, my Diswasher drain hose comes from the disposal and loops up along side the sink(at least 6 inches above the bottom of the sink). The backup occurred while my wife was doing dishes and the level in the sink never exceeded 1 inch. Is there a scenario I am missing that would have put drain water over the loop and into the Dishwasher?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Running a disposal can cause water to literally pump creating positive pressure in the garbage disposal zone. In your case, there is also a failure of the drain solenoid to seal properly.
This is the reason that 'smart' codes like UPC require DW air gaps...not optional like dumber codes.
Here is an example I witnessed: Customer complaint that when she runs the disposal water comes out of ceiling light fixture.
1. Clogged kitchen drain
2. Disposal created positive pumping pressure
3. Kitchen sink vent had a leak in the general area of the light fixture.
I don't recall the cause of the vent leak

DaveC1

Reaction score
Running a disposal can cause water to literally pump creating positive pressure in the garbage disposal zone. In your case, there is also a failure of the drain solenoid to seal properly.
This is the reason that 'smart' codes like UPC require DW air gaps...not optional like dumber codes.
Here is an example I witnessed: Customer complaint that when she runs the disposal water comes out of ceiling light fixture.
1. Clogged kitchen drain
2. Disposal created positive pumping pressure
3. Kitchen sink vent had a leak in the general area of the light fixture.
I don't recall the cause of the vent leak
Those are good tips bro and I agree about the air gap..... Interestingly, we don't use the disposal so the pressure couldn't have come from that.... pressure came from some where though!Thanks again, Dave

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks