Drain stub out fitting and reversible p trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Redmond

Reaction score
Hi all,

Novice plumber here. I moved into a new home recently, and noticed a slight odor coming from the bathroom sink, so I looked underneath and see 3 j traps fitted together (pic attached). Not sure if this is the cause, but would like to correct anyway. It looks to me like the drain stub out is too high for the sink. Would replacing with a reversing p trap correct this? Would something else work better?

If a reversing p trap would work, I was thinking I could saw through the short coupling between the downward facing 90 degree elbow and drain stub out (pic attached), use a plastic pipe fitting reamer to remove the coupling from the stub out, then replace with new (longer) coupling, adapter and finally p trap...any thoughts? Is there an easier way to do that?

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_20200216_210848040.jpg
    IMG_20200216_210848040.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20200216_.jpg
    IMG_20200216_.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 157

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If you bought the home and had an home inspector check it out SUE Her or him .

Document everything and hire a licensed master plumber to check the gas piping ,heating systems

If the previous owner did this type of installation and no one picked up on the code violations shame on them

I cannot imagine what dangerous conditions exist if this is in plain sight

Hopefully you know a good lawyer and can go after the previous owner

Chris Redmond

Reaction score
I took a closer look at the home inspection and this is noted. The tone of your response makes me pretty concerned though.

I get that it's wrong, but am still interested if anyone else agrees with how flagrantly wrong this is, or has any other thoughts. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Look up "pipe parana". I don't know how that would work for you.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Before you make any repairs or try to replace anything. Check your home inspectors report Then contact your lawyer who did the closing as in many cases money is left in escrow for this kind of shoddy workmanship

I work for over 40 law firms and it is my "expert opinion" you have a great case against the previous seller and anyone who did an inspection prior to closing

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the simplest would be to get a trap that mates with the thing glued to the wall. From the tailpiece, put a slip 90, and meet up with what was intended to be the trap arm, but in your case will be carrying drainage from the sink before the trap.

IMG_1.jpg

I don't know what will fit. You would have to try.
white-everbilt-polypropylene-fittings-c9704b-64_1000.jpg
white-everbilt-drains-drain-parts-c9651b-64_1000.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks