Drain line sizing for laundry and sink- code confusion

Users who are viewing this thread

Strauss

Reaction score
I would like to add a utility sink next to my washer. Right now, I have a 2 inch laundry standpipe going into a p trap, a cleanout, and then into the slab a 2 inches. It is vented by a 1.5 inch vent through the roof.

My city uses IPC code, and from my limited understanding IPC 406.2 says that once I add another fixture to the washer line (like a sink), I'll need a 3 inch drain. I'm I interpreting that correctly?

Secondly, International Plumbing Code 802.4.3.1 allows for adding a sink to the standpipe of the washer. If I do this, will I still need a 3 inch drain or could my 2 inch drain be sufficient?? Right now, the sink is more that 30 inches from the standpipe, but I think moving the standpipe would be easier that tearing into my foundation to increase the drain line to 3 inches. It's not clear to me what the drain size requirements are for a 802.4.3.1.

Any other ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks