Do I need a crank case heater for my mini split compressor?

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by Theodore, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Theodore

Theodore Member

Hi,
    The insulation jacket of my mini split's compressor (SeaBreeze mini split heat pump, model SMZ42H46ZOGX) was partially melted during a brazing repair of an adjacent valve. I tried to order a new one. Manufacturer said they're not available, but sent a $30 crank case heater cable instead. Doesn't the existing unit have one already? I see mention of it when I search for "heater" in the manual (http://www.irproducts.biz/support/parts-manuals/file/6536-smz42h46zogx-service-manual?start=20)
    Is this thie way of suggesting to replace it because it may have been damaged too? Photo attached has wires going into compressor insulation, but I'm not if that's an existing heater cable or something else. Advice (i.e. 2nd opinion) appreciated. Thank you. IMG_9412.JPG

2. fitter30

fitter30 Well-Known Member

Retired service tech
    Page 16 shows a cch of that manual you linked

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Theodore

Theodore Member

Ok, then I'll assume manufacturer is suggesting that I replace it just to be sure it wasn't damaged. It's inexpensive.
    Thank you.