DIY project - drain tank for ice maker

Users who are viewing this thread

Sdsvtdriver

Reaction score
I have an Opal ice maker. Part of the maintenance is running a diluted bleach solution through it and rising it a few times. Today, I have to move the 40lb device near the sink so the relatively short drain tubes will have place to drain to. These tubes are 1/4” in. ID and 3/8” in. OD.

I saw they had a drain extension kit. I bought my own parts at HD - 10ft of the same size tubing and a coupler. Now I can leave the ice maker on the counter and use the longer tube to drain into a bucket or something.

Then I thought I’d be nice if that ‘something’ was a bit more contained than an open bucket. With kittens in the house, that tube can get batted into the floor when I’m not looking!

What came to mind is a filter cartridge container (like a big blue but not that big) that has 2x 1/4” in. Input. I see some smaller 10” units online but I’ll need something that can hold about 120 oz. of water. Any suggestions of model #’s of filter housing or some other similar receptacle? Anything with a 1/4” in. Tee into a gallon like container would work. Any creative ideas?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
What came to mind is a filter cartridge container (like a big blue but not that big) that has 2x 1/4” in. Input. I see some smaller 10” units online but I’ll need something that can hold about 120 oz. of water.
A 4.5 x 10 inch cartridge housing with no cartridge might come close to giving you a gallon of capacity. A 4.5x20 about doubles that. However, if I understand correctly, that would be overkill. Plus, if you want to fill it with two 1/4 id hoses, you would need an air vent to avoid backpressure on the drain lines.

As I understand it, you want a place to drain 2 hoses to but to have it cat-resistant. I would take a 5 gallon Lowes or Homer bucket, and secure your drain hoses to the side. That could be done by some barbed fittings, but it could also be done by drilling some holes and using nylon ties to secure the hoses. If the empty bucket is not stable enough empty, add some weight with bricks or water. I expect the chlorine smell would be enough to deter the cat from jumping in. However there are bucket lids available that you could drill as needed.

I was also thinking of a system where you would have a small pump in your bucket. Pump up the sanitizing solution, and have it recirculate back with the drain line(s). A pump that might be used for circulating descaling liquid, such as vinegar, for a tankless water heater would be good.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get a drain adapter for a water heater pan and get a stainless bread pan. Drill a hole in the bread pan. Install water heater pan drain into the bread pan. Set the bread pan to catch runoff. Pipe the drain to the exterior of the building and dump it on the ground.

upload_2019-9-21_13-39-44.png
upload_2019-9-21_13-41-53.png

Sdsvtdriver

Reaction score
A 4.5 x 10 inch cartridge housing with no cartridge might come close to giving you a gallon of capacity. A 4.5x20 about doubles that. However, if I understand correctly, that would be overkill. Plus, if you want to fill it with two 1/4 id hoses, you would need an air vent to avoid backpressure on the drain lines.

As I understand it, you want a place to drain 2 hoses to but to have it cat-resistant. I would take a 5 gallon Lowes or Homer bucket, and secure your drain hoses to the side. That could be done by some barbed fittings, but it could also be done by drilling some holes and using nylon ties to secure the hoses. If the empty bucket is not stable enough empty, add some weight with bricks or water. I expect the chlorine smell would be enough to deter the cat from jumping in. However there are bucket lids available that you could drill as needed.

I was also thinking of a system where you would have a small pump in your bucket. Pump up the sanitizing solution, and have it recirculate back with the drain line(s). A pump that might be used for circulating descaling liquid, such as vinegar, for a tankless water heater would be good.

Thanks for the ideas. I should have clarified in the original post this isn't something permanently set up, it's only for the weekly/bi weekly maintenance so it should be easily storable. Video of the "official" drain kit:

I like the idea of a container with two barb connectors on it that can hold ~120 oz of water and a hole in the top for air. it doesn't drain out with any force, just gravity and it's 40 oz at a time.

Maybe something like a barb tee into a single line that can attach to a standard gallon water jug. I will google more. Maybe I'm overthinking this lol.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks