Dishwasher leaving black greasy spots

Users who are viewing this thread

skeetdog

Reaction score
I have a dishwasher that suddenly started leaving black greasy/oily spots on my dishes. If I try to wash them off they just smear and fade but don't easily just wipe off. It seems to me like its a rubber washer or black rubber gasket that is melting or breaking down and getting all over the dishes. Do you know what could be causing this? We recently switched from liquid detergent to pods and it seems oddly coincidental that this started happening. Do you think the pods could be causing the rubber gaskets to corrode? At this point do you think its worth repairing the dishwasher or should I spring for a new one? Thanks and I appreciate any advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
It could be the flexible supply line to the dishwasher.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Some water heater anodes can leave black spots. Manganese in the water can as well. If you don't treat the water for manganese it can precipitate inside the water heater.

Frequently, those show up in a bathtub but it depends on the path of the piping. The dishwasher might be the path of least resistance.

skeetdog

Reaction score
Some water heater anodes can leave black spots. Manganese in the water can as well. If you don't treat the water for manganese it can precipitate inside the water heater.

Frequently, those show up in a bathtub but it depends on the path of the piping. The dishwasher might be the path of least resistance.

I'm only seeing the spots in the dishwasher. If I run the faucet right next to the dishwasher and fill up a cup of water I don't notice any black spots in the cup. But the dishes that come out of the dishwasher have black spots.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The flow rate on the faucet is probably much less than the fill rate on the dishwasher so the lower flow rate might not motivate the particles. Again, the dishwasher might be the path of least resistance.

Is the dishwasher hookup on a garden hose thread that can easily be disconnected and a short hose attached in its place to draw water into a bucket?

Another possibility is that manganese is being precipitated inside the dishwasher where it is exposed to air. Are you on well water? Has it been tested for manganese?

skeetdog

Reaction score
The flow rate on the faucet is probably much less than the fill rate on the dishwasher so the lower flow rate might not motivate the particles. Again, the dishwasher might be the path of least resistance.

Is the dishwasher hookup on a garden hose thread that can easily be disconnected and a short hose attached in its place to draw water into a bucket?

Another possibility is that manganese is being precipitated inside the dishwasher where it is exposed to air. Are you on well water? Has it been tested for manganese?

The dishwasher connects right under the kitchen sink so I should be able to disconnect the water line and hook up a small hose and fill a bucket. I am on city water and haven't ever tested for manganese.

Reach4

Reaction score
The dishwasher connects right under the kitchen sink so I should be able to disconnect the water line and hook up a small hose and fill a bucket. I am on city water and haven't ever tested for manganese.
City water treatment removes manganese.

skeetdog

Reaction score
Have you ever heard of pods deteriorating a dishwasher vs liquid detergent? We recently switched to using them and that's when I noticed this start to show up. I've just heard the pods are more concentrated so was curious if they would be harsher on the internals of a dishwasher?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks