Dishwasher: hardwire or outlet?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by martha bartley, Feb 26, 2020.

1. martha bartley

martha bartley New Member

Hi all,
    I am installing a new dishwasher. I am comfortable doing this wiring because my dad was an electrician and taught me general wiring. My question is, do you think it’s better to have an outlet under the sink or just hardwire it. It seams weird to me that code would allow an electrical outlet in a wet area prone to water leaks like under a sink even though it is GFCI, but apparently it does, and is common practice.
    Two questions:
    1.What do you think would be better, outlet vs hardwire?
    and
    2. I am planning dedicated lines for the dishwasher and garbage disposal, but wondered if they could be together on the same circuit.

By the way, the house I’m working on is in Florida.

Thanks for the help.

2. Stuff

Stuff Well-Known Member

I prefer a 20 amp circuit going to a standard duplex receptacle. Then connect the half feeding GD to the wall switch. You can do this since the amperage of DW and GD combined is normally less than 20 and they are both fastened in place with nothing else on the circuit. The receptacle aslo gives disconnect means for DW. You do need to get the proper cords for each. Now need to be 3-6.5' for DW, 18"-3' for GD and listed for use.

Note the installation instructions for the appliances might call for a dedicated circuit.

With current NEC you then use a dual function GFCI/AFCI breaker for the circuit.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    Current code is almost everything needs to be GFCI and/or AFCI. GFCI under the sink is required. Installation instructions for dishwashers usually read direct wire or a corded plug in. Going with direct wire is never wrong and some areas do not approve corded plugs. Most dishwashers use around 12-13 amps when the heater is on, therefore, a 15 amp circuit is the minimum. Having separate circuits is always better.

5. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    having a visible disconnect on the circuit is always best, even though this is a single family residence. Therefore, the cord and plug is usually the safest option.

6. Stuff

Stuff Well-Known Member

Note that for a lot of areas a GFCI receptacle is no longer allowed under the sink as it is not readily accessible since things will get stored in front of it.

Yes, I've heard some areas don't want cord-and-plug. Then you need to install a disconnect switch on the wall for the dishwasher to be compliant. A blank-face GFCI doesn't qualify for a disconnect.