Difficultly threading ABS p-trap

Users who are viewing this thread

HalM

Reaction score
Is it possible that some ABS manufacture's threaded fittings have a slightly different size of thread?
I was repairing a 1 1/2" ABS P-trap with cleanout today. I unscrewed the trap from the portion that goes into the wall and was just going to install a new trap and the fittings that attach to the sink drain. But, the new trap would not screw onto the existing part of the drain pipe. It looked like it would fit but just would not go on.
I ended up using the old trap, cutting and replacing some fittings.
I just don't' know if the issue is because of different fittings from different companies.
Thanks.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Threads should be standard. But tolerances could be off.

What portion of an ABS trap threads at the wall. That part seems odd.. or is it a different part that is threaded.

If its a union ptrap then the threads used to mate the J bend to the U bend may be proprietary.

trap-swivel-threads.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks