DHW Gas Bill cut in half? Is that possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

BirchwoodBill

Reaction score
New WM97 boiler and WM Aqua Plus 85 DHW tank was installed at the end of July. We also added Thermostatic valve . Being August - we were not running any heat - but I am seeing the therms cut in half? Our water usage was the same. I was expecting a reduction of 10-15% not 50%. Is this typical?

BirchwoodBill

Reaction score
Old system was Weil McLain cast iron 85% efficient with a triangle smart40 set at 125f. The new tank is set to 145f and with the thermostatic valve mix to 125f.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Yes, that's a credible number.

The standby losses in cast iron boilers are ridiculous when the only load is domestic hot water, reducing the as-used efficiency to less than 50% in many cases. The WM97 has less than 10% of the thermal mass of the cast iron beast, higher combustion efficiency, and operates at a lower temperature. The fraction of the fuel heat abandoned in the boiler at the end of a call from the water heater is tiny by comparison.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks