Delta 1400 series leak

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by hockeynut, Dec 18, 2010.

1. hockeynut

hockeynut New Member

My shower valve had been dripping for some time. I was surprised to get a free replacement from Delta, so I figured it was time to replace it. I had a hard time unscrewing the bonnet. I used vinegar to help loosen the crusty deposits, but I still needed channel locks to remove it. I don't think I was careful enough because a couple of times while breaking it loose, I noticed the entire housing would rotate slightly. I got the cartridge replaced and the water turned back on, only to find dripping directly behind the housing, at least I think it's called a housing. I was hoping that it was an O-ring type of seal, but now I fear that I broke a solder joint loose. Can anyone confirm or deny? Hopefully you can make out the picture, I had to keep croppong it to get it to fit the size requirement. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

You need to use 2 channel locks when removing it, 1 to hold the housing and 1 to hold the valve. You have twisted the copper connections behind the valve. The solution unfortunatly is to replace the valve.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    I can, and have, repaired that problem, but it is not something for the faint of heart, or a first time DIYer. I have even done it for plumbers who have done the same thing as you did. Unless someone in your area knows how to do it, replacement might be the only option.

5. hockeynut

hockeynut New Member

Thanks for the replies. Now the strange thing is that it has stopped leaking! Initially it was a quick drip. Then I shut the water off, put my pliers on the housing and gently tried to rotate it to see if it was loose, which it wasn't. Turned the water back on and now it was a slow leak. I was in the process of deciding how to go about fixing it, directly behind that wall is my vanity and there is no access panel, now the leak has stopped completely. Turned the water on and off several times...no leak. Sat overnight without a single drip. Perplexed.

6. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    First time you twisted it back, you closed up the crack somewhat. Now the brass has corroded to "seal" the leak, but it is NOT fixed permanently.

7. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

Like hj said its not fixed permanently, If you don't have access from behind and don't want to replace the tile or surround you could use a reno plate and a new valve. This can be a little tricky though you may want to have a plumber do it.

8. hockeynut

hockeynut New Member

Thank you again. Of course not what I wanted to hear, but it's what I expected to hear.

9. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    As stated previously, the easiest repair would be to call a plumber who HAS repaired those valves in the past, (most will want to just replace the valve). He can take the old one apart and reassemble it as good as new.

10. hockeynut

hockeynut New Member

Thanks hj, but c'mon, I would be missing out on a bunch of fun by just pushing the easy button.