Damaged female threads 2" cast iron tee

Users who are viewing this thread

meathead

Reaction score
I was cutting a lower section of galvanized pipe and the vibration actually caused the rusted portion connecting to the cast iron to break off. I was hoping to unthread the galvanized portion but got unlucky. I've tried a wire brush on a drill to clean up the threads but they're still clogged.

What's your recommendations.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Your picture did not come through.

For a problme cast iron sanitary tee, I would cut off the pipe above, and use a shielding coupling to vent the top of a plastic santee. Below the old santee, replace as much as practical with plastic. Again, cut pipe and use a shielded coupler.

Careful when cutting the galvanized to not cut through the other side of the wall.

meathead

Reaction score
Your picture did not come through.

For a problme cast iron sanitary tee, I would cut off the pipe above, and use a shielding coupling to vent the top of a plastic santee. Below the old santee, replace as much as practical with plastic. Again, cut pipe and use a shielded coupler.

Careful when cutting the galvanized to not cut through the other side of the wall.

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

This is a vent tee, if that changes anything

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks cleaner than I expected. How much residue is in the threads of the santee? Can you maybe pick it out?

meathead

Reaction score
Not really I tried. The top threads are visible, the botton and the the side facing the drywall where I can't see feel pretty gunked up.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a similar issue. I used the 2" tap as suggested above. Fortunately the persons dad was in the apartment and was a boeing machinist. He suggested going very slowly to clean up the threads. Removing the tool every 1/4 or 1/2 turn to remove chips otherwise the tool would bind up and be stuck. I went up to the shop and got the US made steel tool and worked like a charm!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On a drain line, I think you'll find some cutting oil will help when cutting/chasing threads. LOts of in some, back some to clear chips. All the way out if the flutes get full to clean them out. It's a tapered thread, so you don't want or need to go way in, unlike a straight thread where it doesn't matter.