Crimp vs. Uponor

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pex has been around for a long time, but it didn't become available in volume until about 50-years ago.

The first PEX material was prepared in the 1930s, by irradiating the extruded tube with an electron beam. The electron beam processing method was made feasible in the 1970s, but was still expensive. In the 1960s, Engel cross-linking was developed.

Pex was brought to the USA in the mid-80's primarily for use in hydronic heating systems. It wasn't until the early 2000's that it started to be used for potable water in the USA.

In 1972, Wirsbo, using Engle's cross-linking method started to supply tubing in Europe. It took about 10-years before it made it to the USA. Wirsbo (Uphonor) is the only company that has a vertical production system meaning that they make their own raw stock. Everyone else buys their raw stock from some other supplier, so don't have as much control over the whole process. That also means that Uphonor has few excuses if there's a problem with their product.
All companys sell defective product thats an excuse. this isnt a perfect world . buying raw stock from another supplier would not be a better excuse.
It happens bad product gets out . a class action lawsuit dosent mean much nessesarily .
but a company has a responceability and hopefully stands up and handles legitamate claims properly .
I hope Uponnor has done so as Ive held them highly even though I havent done tons of pex but belived them to be first class .
Again those that have problems seek thier help

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks