Crane faucet issue for clawfoot bath

Users who are viewing this thread

StuStu

Reaction score
Hello!

Me and my mother live in an older house and she has had this old clawfoot bath for a long time and since we do not have the means to purchase another faucet, I wanted to seek help in order to understand the issue with ours. Everytime we try to turn the faucet handle (green) in order to get water, nothing comes out, so we have been forced to turn the part circled in red in order to get hot water. This has been going on for quite some time now and I want to make it functional again. The right faucet seems to also be having some issue, where the "thing" starts to scream loudly the moment we turn it on. We had a friend who previously tried to change the washer, but I do not know the extent of his repair or how well it was done.

Thank you!
20240430_185605.jpg

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello!

Me and my mother live in an older house and she has had this old clawfoot bath for a long time and since we do not have the means to purchase another faucet, I wanted to seek help in order to understand the issue with ours. Everytime we try to turn the faucet handle (green) in order to get water, nothing comes out, so we have been forced to turn the part circled in red in order to get hot water. This has been going on for quite some time now and I want to make it functional again. The right faucet seems to also be having some issue, where the "thing" starts to scream loudly the moment we turn it on. We had a friend who previously tried to change the washer, but I do not know the extent of his repair or how well it was done.

Thank you!View attachment 98687

Unscrew those two nuts on both the hot and cold side. Twist out the old stem. Take them to the nearest plumbing supply. they should be able to match you up with the proper parts. replace the screw, the washer, and the packing. smear the shaft with plumbers grease. screw it back in. tighten the nut on both hot and cold side and it should work like new.

note: while you have the unit taken apart, have a second person gently open the main water to the house. get it to small trickle so the water seeps up and over. Use the water to flush out any debris that might still be in there. Use a pipe brush or something that can reach inside the valve body and clean it out the best you can.

I don't general do rebuilds. But when you have vintage fixtures, sometimes it's worth the effort. snug things up. No gorilla grip.

You can buy faucets for these old clawfoot tubs. But what you have is pretty unique/special. Your old vintage faucet is pretty cool.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Because that tub has no air gap between the spout / outlet and the flood level, I couldn't service it. We only replace those with new ones. But if you're doing it DIY, then I would take Michaels advice and see what it looks like inside. I bet the screws on the stem are worn out.