Cracked P-Trap with a Side of Drain Flies

Users who are viewing this thread

mkeschatzi

Reaction score
Hello,
I’m new here and am so thrilled to ask all you Houdini’s and Pro’s What in the what is going on. I’ll try to make this short and sweet:)
House with NO Basement has floor drain in Furnace/Water Heater Closet. Drain Flies for 2 months and Landlord had plumber come today. Dx: Cracked P-Trap Leaking! drain had rocks, plastic, natural materials in it. Fun Fact! This floor drain overflowed in July:) Plumber wants to Jackhammer floor,
Replace drain, concrete. Landlord wants to put a homemade drain insert in allowing water to flow down but won’t allow air to come up? This fix sounds like a bandaid.
Should I be concerned with gases, other insects and or issues if this turns into a homemade fix? I’m a tenant, we rent this house and not sure what should be done but I would expect the repair to keep us gas/bug free. Please advise me of what the proper solution is and one that puts our health and safety first!!
Thank You Awesome Community!!

Reach4

Reaction score
If you can see this crack, how about a photo?
Replace drain, concrete. Landlord wants to put a homemade drain insert in allowing water to flow down but won’t allow air to come up? This fix sounds like a bandaid.
Should I be concerned with gases, other insects and or issues if this turns into a homemade fix?
To me, a homemade fix is a fix. There are commercial devices to go into the hole to accept water and block air coming out.

I think you are saying that the ground floor slab has no basement below.

Was the overflow in July during a heavy rain, or was this overflow from the drain not accepting water that your apartment was trying to put into the drain?

Last edited:

mkeschatzi

Reaction score
Can you see the crack in the P trap?
Thank You for taking the time to read my post!
The plumber put his hand down the drain and felt the crack, sediment, some plastic and natural materials. He just about had his entire arm down the drain but you cannot see the crack.

mkeschatzi

Reaction score
If you can see this crack, how about a photo?

To me, an homemade fix is a fix. There are commercial devices to go into the hole to accept water and block air coming out.

I think you are saying that the ground floor slab has no basement below.

Was the overflow in July during a heavy rain, or was this overflow from the drain not accepting water that your apartment was trying to put into the drain?

mkeschatzi

Reaction score
Thank You for reading my post:) You cannot see the crack, with almost his entire arm down the drain though he could feel it with his hand.
This is a Single Family Home, not attached or part of any other building(s) Just about all the homes in this development don’t have basements, the house is on a slab.

mkeschatzi

Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to answer about the overflow.
This is a 2 story home with drain on first floor. Not a ranch, tri-level etc.
That overflow in the summer was not to my knowledge because of rain. The plumber snaked the drain and lots of things that other renters shouldn’t have probably flushed built up he said. That took care of the problem at that time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks