Basement tub drain, p-trap angle

Users who are viewing this thread

redwillow420

Reaction score
I have a basement tub drain that is incorrect and looking for suggestions to fix without much jackhammering. The inspector said I should have the tub drain down pipe connect directly into the p-trap then p-trap to horizontal drain pipe. I'm trying to limit how much I have to jackhammer out if possible so could I have the p-trap at the base of the down pipe, have it go flow to the left in the picture then 180 bend back into the existing drain?

drain.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks to me like your going to have to remove that bottom plate for the wall and jackhammer some more concrete.

Your ptrap should act as a 90 since your tub sitting is 90 degrees from the direction of the drain piping. So you glue your trap outlet onto the drain pipe. Then the u bend will be rotated 90 degrees (give or take, it may end up not quite 90 or a little more depending on where you cut the pipe). Once you are rotated the riser can be offset with 45 degree fittings if there's room, but it doesn't look like there's room, so where you cut the horizontal drain pipe will be critical.

What you have now is considered a running trap and generally not allowed.

redwillow420

Reaction score
It looks to me like your going to have to remove that bottom plate for the wall and jackhammer some more concrete.

Your ptrap should act as a 90 since your tub sitting is 90 degrees from the direction of the drain piping. So you glue your trap outlet onto the drain pipe. Then the u bend will be rotated 90 degrees (give or take, it may end up not quite 90 or a little more depending on where you cut the pipe). Once you are rotated the riser can be offset with 45 degree fittings if there's room, but it doesn't look like there's room, so where you cut the horizontal drain pipe will be critical.

What you have now is considered a running trap and generally not allowed.
Thanks John for the feedback! I was nervous about cutting away too much of the horizontal drain pipe but yeah that what it looks like I'm gonna have to do. Thanks again!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
BTW only solid joints should be under tub without access the slip joints should be avoided over glue joints unless you have access

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks