CPVC and wire plasticizer

Users who are viewing this thread

bud6

Reaction score
Moved into house few months ago and prior to our purchase updates were made to plumbing/electrical. In unfinished part of basement I noticed areas where electrical wire was in contact or close to being in contact with CPVC, copper, and galvanized pipe. I fixed the wire near the copper line so there’s about a .75” gap between wire and copper above hot water heater but you’ll see in other picture the wire is in contact with the CPVC and galvanized pipe. I’ve read about there being issues with plasticizer in wire insulation that can weaken CPVC and cause it to leak over time, but admittedly don’t know enough about wiring. Not sure if it’s all wires or only certain wires like Ethernet/network wires? If possible to determine, might the ones in image have plasticizer potentially causing CPVC fatigue? Will try to adjust but wires are tight so wanted to check before I tried messing with them.

Attachments

• 772BE7C8-F9BB-4BB8-8FE8-7AA57E69B9CB.jpeg
    772BE7C8-F9BB-4BB8-8FE8-7AA57E69B9CB.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 201

bud6

Reaction score
You worry to much.
When one doesn’t know a lick about about electrical nor plumbing and reads product documentation that explicitly warns of such install errors sure call it as you see fit. Seems only natural to seek input from a professional forum.

Last edited:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let's see some actual data that shows that this is a real issue. The whole subject has the stink of product-liability lawyer about it.
As we hear about almost daily, ignorant and gullible juries can be convinced of the truth of just about any claim. Manufacturers
of course, on advice of their lawyers, include suitable warnings with their products (AKA "cover-yer-ass"). Know-nothing government busybodies
add to the pile. Pretty soon you have a whole industry created out of nothing, and accomplishing nothing. It's the modern way.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Ain't the internet the greatest invention of humans, ever! Here you can view endless information. And, if it's on the internet it must be true! I always suggest to people to stop and actually think about this information.
In the case of electrical wires being in contact with anything else in home construction, the electrical, building and plumbing codes should tell you all you need to know.
In your case OP, screw around and eventually you will have a problem. If the wiring was done by a licensed electrician and inspected, the wires will be routed and stapled according to code and pulling/tugging them is ill advised.
Your picture does not depict a wiring/code violation and you even have insulated staples!

Reaction score
Wiring that is coated in a vinyl plastic uses plasticizer to make it soft and flexible, that plasticizer can migrate from the wiring into other vinyl materials and make it soft. On a pressure piping system, that softness comes with a reduce pressure rating and could cause a failure. If its nylon or polyolefin (polyethyelen, tpu, etc...) its not an issue.

There's more info here: https://www.lubrizol.com/CPVC/FBC-System-Compatible-Program/Other-Compatibility-Topics look under flexible wire and cable

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks