CPVC and PEX

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by dauber man, Jun 22, 2021.

1. dauber man

dauber man New Member

We're thinking about purchasing a brand new condo unit and it has been piped with a combination of CPVC and PEX here in Los Angeles, CA.

I've never seen CPVC and PEX before here in LA and have always been told copper is the gold standard.

Is this a reason not to buy? Planning to stay in the unit for a long time..

Thank you

2. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

CPVC is probably failing and being replaced with PEX

JohnCT, Sylvan and Tuttles Revenge like this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

JohnCT, Sylvan and Tuttles Revenge like this.
  4. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Nobody I know uses CPVC for remodels and repairs. So if any of those happened its likely to have occured in PEX because its a less expensive method to install over copper. We install almost exclusively in PEX, but still do some all copper remodels if requested or if doing a repair on a copper system, we maintain copper.

5. JohnCT

JohnCT Still learning..slowly

He says the condo is "brand new"... Maybe it's a full remodel?

John

6. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

I know of hybrid systems in mid rise high dollar hotels sch 80 CPVC mains with copper press branches. I'm not a big fan of CPVC especially copper tube size.. I wouldn't assume that the mix of materials was a partial repipe.
    I'm from so ca and pretty familiar with most construction here. A "condo" I believe could involve a shared piping system or one that is entirely the owners property to be maintained good info for you to understand.
    PEX ,and/ or CPVC would not be an deal breaker for me , what about the fire sprinklers orange plastic CPVC?

7. dauber man

dauber man New Member

This is a brand new built condo from the builder..64 units in total.

8. Jeff H Young

Oh yea you mentioned that over a month ago , brand new condo. whats the question now?

9. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    I have no idea why a "brand new" condo would have a mix of CPVC and PEX.. Or why CPVC was even considered if the entire system was NOT CPVC.

10. Jeff H Young

Nor do I have any Idea Why? I can tell you its not the first building with a mix of pipe not a bizarre thought. I've had sch10 stainless and copper copper as well.
    No one I know uses CPVC either but , if a 64 unit complex comes up with CPVC speced out its going to get plumbed in CPVC.
    I've never cared for cts CPVC nor PEX but this is where we are, plastic is fantastic
    I wouldn't let this change my decision , I'd pass on a condo if possible too much trouble .
    I think the op already bought the condo as he has another post asking other questions.