CPVC and PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

dauber man

Reaction score
We're thinking about purchasing a brand new condo unit and it has been piped with a combination of CPVC and PEX here in Los Angeles, CA.

I've never seen CPVC and PEX before here in LA and have always been told copper is the gold standard.

Is this a reason not to buy? Planning to stay in the unit for a long time..

Thank you

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nobody I know uses CPVC for remodels and repairs. So if any of those happened its likely to have occured in PEX because its a less expensive method to install over copper. We install almost exclusively in PEX, but still do some all copper remodels if requested or if doing a repair on a copper system, we maintain copper.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know of hybrid systems in mid rise high dollar hotels sch 80 CPVC mains with copper press branches. I'm not a big fan of CPVC especially copper tube size.. I wouldn't assume that the mix of materials was a partial repipe.
I'm from so ca and pretty familiar with most construction here. A "condo" I believe could involve a shared piping system or one that is entirely the owners property to be maintained good info for you to understand.
PEX ,and/ or CPVC would not be an deal breaker for me , what about the fire sprinklers orange plastic CPVC?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have no idea why a "brand new" condo would have a mix of CPVC and PEX.. Or why CPVC was even considered if the entire system was NOT CPVC.
Nor do I have any Idea Why? I can tell you its not the first building with a mix of pipe not a bizarre thought. I've had sch10 stainless and copper copper as well.
No one I know uses CPVC either but , if a 64 unit complex comes up with CPVC speced out its going to get plumbed in CPVC.
I've never cared for cts CPVC nor PEX but this is where we are, plastic is fantastic
I wouldn't let this change my decision , I'd pass on a condo if possible too much trouble .
I think the op already bought the condo as he has another post asking other questions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks