Copper Joint OK?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by kluisi, May 1, 2021.

1. kluisi

kluisi New Member

I have a question for the professionals. We built a house recently (but out of our plumbing warranty) and have a leak between our hot water heater and the expansion tank.

When I looked at it, it seems to me that the joint was messed up from the very beginning (and I'm hoping to get it honored by the warranty on those grounds).

The cold water line comes in horizontally and goes to a tee (but without a tee fitting). Up is to the bottom of the expansion tank. Down is too the hot water heater.

Why would that not be a soldered tee fitting? Is it ok for the expansion tank to be installed upside down like that? I've read that can allow air on the water side of the expansion tank? Does any of this work actually conform to the plumbing code in the Pittsburgh area?

Here are some pictures:

PXL_20210501_235355386~2.jpg PXL_20210502_000250143.jpg

2. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    It's common to install the expansion tank upside down, it can be installed in any direction. The copper pipe looks like a prefabricated piece made specifically for the expansion tank, my first guess is that it is a manufacturers defect. There is no way to tell who's fault it is why it leaks. You could try to locate the manufacturer.

kluisi likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

kluisi likes this.
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    If the precharge is set correctly, there should not be opportunity for much air to collect as the tank would be completely emptied whenever a faucet is opened.

kluisi likes this.
  5. kluisi

kluisi New Member

Thanks for your replies. I have a plumber coming tomorrow.

6. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

Id be disappointed and possibly complain but I wouldnt install thier junk again. I guess its just me but Id repair it free for my customer. 1 year warranty if its 2 years Id handle it much past that Id charge

kluisi likes this.
  7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

https://www.siouxchief.com/products...fip-swivel-straight-adapter-w--expansion-tank looks like the failed part.

[​IMG]

Different tank makers have different requirements. https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Amtrol-140N43-Install-Instructions.pdf says "Mount tank vertically in downward position only."

Watts https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Watts-0067370-Install-Instructions.pdf says
    " The expansion tank may be installed vertically (preferred method)
    or horizontally. Caution: The tank must be properly supported
    in horizontal applications"​

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2021
    kluisi and Jeff H Young like this.
  8. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

Hadent seen those before Soix chief if manufacture of this particular piece is usually decent products. coulda been compromised by stress from original installer as well. easy fix though!

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2021
    kluisi likes this.
  9. taylorjm

taylorjm Active Member

Since it's a prefab part, it looks like it's easy to replace. Everything just screws together without having to disassemble the pex or any copper. I'd just take the 15 minutes and replace the part and not worry about it.