Converting Hand-Held shower to Shower Head

Users who are viewing this thread

Vatch

Reaction score
Hi: I have a hand-held shower and would like to change it to both a stationary shower head and a hand-held shower. I saw at the local hardware store that I can buy a control piece that can be attached to a goose neck to allow me to have both the shower head and the hand-held. However, I don't know what I need to do to remove what I have and install the goose neck. I am guessing the piece that I need to remove and replace by the goose neck is in the pictures below. Do I stick something in the hole and turn it like I would with the faucet spout ? Then, do I simply get a goose neck and screw it in ? Vatch
http://home.comcast.net/~smitasin6417/PICT0804.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~smitasin6417/PICT0807.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I expect that right now you have a standard angled shower arm coming out from the wall. Grab that with a 12" channel lock and gently try to unscrew it. The one pitfall of this is that if it is old and badly corroded, it could break off. But most of the time, it will unscrew OK. Then you will have to measure and possibly by trial and error determine what length of straight 1/2" IPS brass nipple you need to use to attach that shower fitting flush to the wall.

That is a nice unit. Plan on using some teflon tape or pipe joint compound on the theads of the new nipple.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
use a piece of tape or marker on the shower arm to mark finished wall before undoing it and you will have a ready-made measurement of how long a nipple it will take to reach finished wall - then just add enough to get the end of the niple out to wherre you want it...
(if the nipple was 4" into the wall and you want finished to be 1 1/2" out, use a 5 1/2" nipple...)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks