Connecting low-voltage conduit to electrical boxes

Users who are viewing this thread

kornbln

Reaction score
I did not realize that RACO made dividing plates for metal boxes, now I just have to find someone that sells them. Someone advises against having both HV and LV in the same box, but clearly manufacturers are providing products for this purpose. Is there any evidence that this would cause problems? I can try to bring the wires in in different stud bays, except for old work where both HV and LV lines will have to be fished. I am worried about the look of separate HV and LV wallplates side by side but enough out of alignment to be an eyesore to the installer whenever he looks at them.

I had hoped to run LV through conduit, but now I realize that Carlon old work boxes do not provide support for conduit. For external walls where I am doing complete demo, insulate (with foam) and re-rock, it seems like I have no alternative but to run closed (HV) electrical boxes with conduit going into them. I won't be able to finish connections until after rocking, which must follow insulation, so wiring must be protected from insulation. I guess I have to be careful on pulling the wire back at the other end when pushing it back into the box, so I achieve the right turn radius.

Kornbln, the A253X adapters look similar to adapters for Resi-gard, just different color. Did you bring your conduit into plastic or metal boxes?

A couple of people have mentioned a bonding bushing for MC in plastic. Here's where I demonstrate my ignorance: what's a bonding bushing? Didn't see anything like that at the big box.

Thanks again for your help.

I used metal boxes.

You probably wont find the metal divider plate at a big box store. I had to go to an electrical supply house for that.

For an old work application, you could use the Raco Retro-Ring (The Blue store sells that one, at least in my region). Here's a PDF showing exactly how it's used. Note that you will need an oversized wallplate to cover it.

I would also make sure you get the Raco version of the divider plate. I was only able to find the Steel City version and ended up having to grind some of it off to make it fit with the Retro-Ring.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks