Connecting Garden Hose to Pressure Tank Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Dwassner

Reaction score
My pressure tank is connected with 3/4" pex to the main 1" pex line.

I want to use untreated water for the garden hoses.

Can I run a tee from the 3/4" run that is connecting the pressure tank?

It is the only location that allows me to tap into untreated water without having to do a decent amount of work to move things around... The chlorination water meter comes almost immediately after the tee for the pressure tank...

thanks,
DW

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A possible caveat is that water may reverse through the chlorinator and so might require a check valve on the outlet side of the tank. Flow reversal can also cause false usage readings on a metered softener. That then will make it a closed system and require an expansion tank for the HWT. You might have to relocate the tank or the chlorinator to make room for the Tee and check valve.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Connect it after the pressure tank and install a backflow device or a double check valve going the outside spigot and install an anti siphon device at the outside spigot. With a backflow device the pipe will remain filled with water so you'll need to install a drain valve after the backflow device to winterize.

Google WATTS backflow and check valve. I'm not sure if a double check valve will meet code for a well system. A backflow device definitely for a city water supply. You never want any water from hose to be reverse flow contaminating the domestic water. If the pump ever failed, the hose is laying on the ground with water flowing, or even in a pool and someone turn on the water inside the home, water can be siphon back into the home. Having a backflow and antiphon device is for your safety.

Febco brand backflow devices that work on atmospheric pressure must be installed higher than the highest sprinkler in your yard. Being Rochester, NY it would have to be winterized, etc.
https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/shop?q=backflow

31MYXa7w+tL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I hope the pressure switch is on the tank side of that 3/4. You really ought to consider increasing that path diameter to the pressure tank anyway, while you are at it.

You can tee off the line from the well before the pressure tank too. Maybe that is what you are suggesting, and your setup is better than the picture in my mind. Maybe you could post a photo. Include the line from the well, the pressure switch, the input to the pressure tank, and the area where you propose to add a tee for the outside water.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If your going to use it for occasional use as it is is OK. If you plan to irrigate for hours on end and you find that the pump is cycling on and off you'll need to consider a CSV. The designer is Cary, AKA the Valveman, and he moderates this site quite often. Check out his web site, It has good information and videos.
https://cyclestopvalves.com/

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
In addition to the backflow problem, tapping in close to the pressure switch and drawing heavily could case the pressure switch to chatter. Of course this is all just wild guesses since you don't provide enough detail. GI/GO

Dwassner

Reaction score
the main line enters the basement through the block wall and almost immediately enters a tee. There is 3/4" pex that goes ~4ft ft down to the base of the pressure tank. The pressure gauge and pressure switch are at the base of the tank.

I would want to put a tee as close to the tee mentioned above as possible to branch off for the garden hoses. Personally, I am not seeing how it would make a difference having a tee here vs a few inches away but on the main 1" line, but that is why I am asking the question on this forum...

It sounds like since I have added a chlorination system, adding a simple tee for a garden hose will create a gigantic mess of issues...

Also, fwiw, we don't have a pool, and use the hose occasionally to water the garden or fill the kids water toys.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The pressure gauge and pressure switch are at the base of the tank.
The switch being close to the tank should prevent chatter but if you draw heavily from the irrigation Tee-off, you might starve the switch of pressure. If the pressure switch has a low pressure cut-off, you might get nuisance trips. That 3/4 PEX could be a choke point. What size is the pipe from the well?

Dwassner

Reaction score
I believe it is 1 1/4" black plastic water line coming from the well through the block wall, and I am adapting from this to 1" pex almost immediately.

After this it runs into a tee, the 1" pex size continues through the tee, and the middle of the tee I have reducing to 3/4" that runs down to the base of the tank.

There is nothing flowing through the 3/4" pex, its just pressurizing the system, so I would think there no choke point?

Reach4

Reaction score
the main line enters the basement through the block wall and almost immediately enters a tee. There is 3/4" pex that goes ~4ft ft down to the base of the pressure tank. The pressure gauge and pressure switch are at the base of the tank.
You cannot cut in before or after that tee on the 1 inch path? The chlorination system is downstream of that tee, right?

Dwassner

Reaction score
I could cut in, but it will be a major pain. I'd rather just use treated water in the hoses...

The chlorination meter is about a ft downstream of the 1" pex tee, and the chlorine injection point is yet another 1 ft even further down.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There is nothing flowing through the 3/4" pex, its just pressurizing the system, so I would think there no choke point?
How can you say there is nothing flowing through it? From the way you describe it, every drop of water coming from the well flows through it.

Water will take the path of least resistance, so if you draw heavily from the irrigation Tee-off, it can starve the pressure switch and rest of the house causing a low cut-off situation if such exists on your switch.

Dwassner

Reaction score
The other option I have is just before the first 1" tee, there is another 1" tee that branches off to 1/2" and I have this going to a vacuum break. I could move the vacuum break to the 3/4" line going down to the pressure tank, and use the 1/2" tee for the garden hoses...

Dwassner

Reaction score
There is zero water flowing through it. The water enters the tee as 1" pex and flows out of the tee as 1" pex. the middle leg of the tee goes down to the pressure tank as 3/4" pex...

Reach4

Reaction score
LOL No, I'm sorry. I can't explain yet again the same simple description of how this is set up...
A younger friend could probably help you with that with a cellphone, or an older one could help you with a digital camera.

Dwassner

Reaction score
should I also take picture of the pex plumbing as well, just to make sure we're all on the same page with what I am talking about??

Seriously though, I have a main line, and am teeing off of it to a pressure tank. There is no picture required to explain this. Yet when this guy fails to grasp this, I am accused of playing a shell game with words? lol

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Water does enter and exit the pressure tank. For example, if your pump pressure switch settings are 40/60 psi, the tank will contain almost 0 water at 40 and several gallons at 60 depending on the capacity of the tank. As a rule if thumb, the water capacity of a pressure tank is about 1/4 of the tank's rated capacity.

How is the chlorine pump activated? If activated whenever the pump is running, then connecting the hose feed before the chlorinator will likely cause chlorine to be pumped into the home's plumbing lines even as no water maybe flowing past the chlorine injection point. Using a flow meter would be a better method to activate the chlorine pump as the pump would only be activated when water is actually flowing through the meter.

Dwassner

Reaction score
I don't disagree that water enter and exits the tank. But this is entirely different than it being in the actual flow of the main line.

The chlorine pump is activated per the meter at a pulse per gallon. Teeing off the line that goes to the pressure tank would not cause flow through the chlorine meter.

So, back to my original question, unless no one is willing to answer because I'm not willing to deal with people's stupid comments like calling my posts 'garbage in garbage out' and 'shell games':

Can I tee off the line that connects to my pressure tank to supply my garden hoses?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks