Connect ground wire on water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

James23912

Reaction score
Looking at wiring new water heater new construction. There is a ground on the wh unit that is under a screw, do I attach ground wire from panel.to.this?

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
You're gonna need to be a little more specific.

Is this an electric water heater? If so then in the wiring compartment there should be a green ground screw, or a pigtail, that you would tie to the ground present in your non metalic cable, or metal clad cable, or whatever the wire type is.

if this is something else i'll need more info or pictures.

James23912

Reaction score
Hi thanks, sorry, I should have specified electric unit, easy enough to do the black and white but usually the ground is not screwed down as this one is. I used to live in NH, mostly Raymond

Phog

Reaction score
Usually there is a green screw on the electric water heater, near the water heater hot connections. From your romex, the black & white connect to the water heater hot leads with wire nuts, and the bare copper ground wire from the romex goes under the green screw on the water heater. In the electric panel box the bare copper should be connected to the ground bar. If you are not sure of things you should be getting a licensed electrician to do the hook-up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks