compact 2" p trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

DougH

Reaction score
I am replacing a first floor shower stall. In order to remove the old stall I had to cut out a section of the copper drain pipe including the p trap (I have complete access from the basement). I went to Lowes to buy 2" sch 40 PVC fittings to replace the section I had to remove. My dilema is that the 2" pvc p trap is wider than the copper one I removed and thus sticks out too far. By wider, I mean measuring from the outside edge of the opening on one side straight across to the outside edge of the other opening, the PCV one is about 8 inches wide, the old copper one is only 5" wide. A better description might be that the pvc started out as a 14" straight pipe bent into a half circle, the copper started out as only an 11" straight pipe, bent into a tight "U". Is there such a thing as a more compact pcv p-trap - ideally with a cleanout?
Thanks for the help!

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
You will need to cut back more of the copper, so you can work with the new 2" plastic. Having access from the basement is a good thing. You can add a clean out to the drain for easer drain cleaning.

If you can post a pic or two. We can give some tips too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks