Cold snap suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I should have done this sooner.

1. In cold areas, those without frostproof spigots put something like this over spigots during winter.

hosebib-cover.jpg

You can gather packing materials or other stuff and approximate that. If your stores had those before, they probably sold out.

2. If your kitchen sink is on an outside wall, consider opening the cabinet doors under the sink. That will let some heat into that area, and reduce the chance of freezing due to inadequate insulation.

3. You all know that running faucets at a very low dribble can prevent pipes from freezing. There is the chance that that could cause a drain line to freeze that would not have had water in it, so it could backfire. I have not heard of somebody having that problem, but I could imagine it.

Good luck, and I hope your heat stays on.

TJanak

Reaction score
I bought some of those to use this week for the first time. Not too impressed with the cheapo rubber string that barely compresses the foam strip against the wall. They do appear to have worked with two nights down to 18 and 20 degrees.

Growing up we didn't buy anything, so we wrapped bibs in rags really well and covered with bread bags up against the wall and used rubber bands to hold them on.

Also place any type of wind block against the outside wall where you have plumbing in the wall on the north side of the building. Plywood, etc. Most older brick homes here also have weep holes at the foundation and the cold air blows right into the cavity between brick and sheathing.

And insulate your (my) p traps. I'm on a piling supported house 5' above grade with very good ventilation under the house. Spray foam on the underside of the subfloor but shower traps are not protected. I don't know if p traps will freeze and bust, but I forgot to buy rv antifreeze to pour in them. Had a couple bottles of nasty bourbon I was given, so a quart went in each trap!

Dgeist

Reaction score
In case it's not obvious, don't forget most external spigots (should) have a shutoff on the interior of the structure. Find it and turn it off, then open the spigot. Assuming it's not frozen solid already, any water in the supply should drain out. Let it drain as much as you can before you cover it. Dry fixtures don't get damaged in cold weather, just wet ones.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks