Clothes dryer - cycling thermostat question

Users who are viewing this thread

jdf405

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
Got a question about a pretty standard gas clothes dryer. It's a Maytag sdg2606aww and has only air-fluff, delicate, and regular temperature settings. I'd really like to knock the heat down a bit as it's really rough on our synthetics - things like spandex yoga pants, cycling clothes, elastic in underwear etc...

Are cycling thermostats interchangeable such that I could find the same size / shape / electrical connections but one with a lower set point (153F at present)? How would I go about figuring out the compatibility etc...

Thanks much!
Jonathan

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I don't know which way gas dryers regulate heat. Either the gas is cycled on and off for the set temperature or it lowers the gas (flame) output. Generally, you don't mess with gas appliances. There are sensors and circuitry to sense if the gas did light or not, all in the name of safety.

For your items that are synthetics use the delicate cycle. If you have auto dry, set it near the less dry on the dial.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/505956/Maytag-Sdg2606aww.html?page=4#manual

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 7.43.07 PM.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing that can affect the overall operation of a dryer is the ductwork you select. Many people end up with the plastic stuff with the coiled spring because it's easier to install. The best choice is smooth, rigid duct for two reasons:
- it's smoother so the air moves through it better often speeding up the cycle
- it's less likely to accumulate lint that slows things down, becomes a fire hazard, and decreases efficiency.

When the air moves faster, it has less time to heat up in the heat exchanger, so the ultimate operating temperature may be a little lower.

A modern house that is built really tight, the air flow through the dryer might have trouble achieving the maximum flow rate. With a gas dryer, you not only need to replace the air you exhaust because of the fan effects, you need to replace the air used in the combustion process as well. An older house, unless it has been tightened up for energy savings, typically leaks enough where it's not a big issue. A newer house may need a means to bring in outside air to replace what's being pushed out of the house for best efficiency. There are air-air energy recovery ventilators that can make that process more efficient. High volume 'fans' can depressurize the house, and that tends to try to suck replacement air through any cracks, bringing in dust, humidity, and unconditioned exterior air.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks