Clogged Twin Ells (Shower)

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnSmith

Reaction score
Shower tub combo tiled in with only two handles (hot and cold). Hot and Cold come out tub spout but no water comes out of the shower even when the tub out is plugged. No water comes out the tub spout when water is poured in the shower spout. My best guess is the twin ell is clogged (likely minerals). Is there a way to unclog this without ripping out the wall tile? No access from behind. Considering CLR but if it doesn't clear the clog, then it will just sit in the pipes. Thanks for any input!

Reach4

Reaction score
Try blocking the spout, and then running the CLR in from the shower arm. Your symptom is compatible with the blockage being in the pipe to the showerhead.

If it is minerals, you would probably benefit from a softener in more ways than preventing future mineral deposits.

If you can remove the nipple that goes to the spout, you should be able to see the holes. You could run a wire thru that too. The CLR sitting overnight sounds easier.

frankmissing

Reaction score
Try blocking the spout, and then running the CLR in from the shower arm. Your symptom is compatible with the blockage being in the pipe to the showerhead. If it is minerals, you would probably benefit from a softener in more ways than preventing future here mineral deposits. If you can remove the nipple that goes to the spout, you should be able to see the holes. You could run a wire thru that too. The CLR sitting overnight sounds easier.
I use CLR too! But they say that there is a special hose for cleaning, but I didn’t use it!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a delta shower only valve that was plugged I removed the cartridge poured something down lime away or vinegar connected a compressor and blew it out it had small ports inside that plugged fixed it works ok now. definately blow it out with compressed air would be a try

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most likely you are experiencing "shower-rise," where the water can't get out of the spout as fast as it flows through the valve. This causes the water to back up and come out the shower head. There can be one of several reasons for this: The valve could be upside down.
<a href="https://cpsandtypingtest.com/kohi-click-test/">kohi-click-test</a>
Id say highly unlikely , first off he said it was likely plugged with minerals so my guess is its not an old build with upside down valve? So Im convinced it hasent been upside down . If it was upside down why wouldnt plugging the shower make water come out bottom?
John Smith could clear things up some does not a single drop come out the tub with the shower capped off

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks