Clack WS1 (hissing sound and no soft water)

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by cyclism, Feb 17, 2020.

1. cyclism

cyclism New Member

I've had this system now for about 10 years and had the resin redone once about 2 years ago. I cleaned the injector, it wasn't clogged, but checked for the pin hole. The hissing sound only occurs when the valves are open, if I close off the system it goes away. Water does not seem to get any lower in the brine tank, get's to an overflow outlet and I up up draining it sometimes, however this is not always the case. It just never gets lower like it did the first 9 years or so. I'm not really sure what to check at this point. Hard for me to tell exactly where the hiss comes from, definitely near the control head area. This has been going on for a few months now.

2. Bannerman

Bannerman Well-Known Member

Sounds like it maybe a leak to drain. It also sounds as though the brine is not being drawn, but is refilling at the end of each regeneration cycle.

While you stated the resin was replaced 2 years ago, you didn't mention if the valve was also serviced. From your description, it sounds like the seal and spacer stack may need to be replaced, possibly including the piston.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
    10 years old, do a complete valve rebuild, the system will basically be new.