Check my bathroom remodel DWV plan?

Users who are viewing this thread

KyleT

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm redoing my bathroom; current layout is for sink, wc, shower stall and tub. I'm going to be replacing it with:
-Double-sink vanity
-Double shower head shower
-WC staying in the same spot.

relevant code is Canadian Plumbing code, special note that drain lines may not be in exterior walls, however vent lines are permitted.

Existing drain and vent lines for sink and shower are 1-1/2".

Here's the existing layout (Sorry about the wierd panoramic curve - my joists are mostly straight, I promise)
Bathroom Old.jpg

Here's my new plan
bathroom new.jpg

Is this ok? Is wet venting the wc with the shower allowed?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. The pipes coming out of the lower ceiling should ALL be vents and I cannot image how you could remove that 45 near the tub drain.
2. You CANNOT "Repurpose" the vent to use it for a sink drain, unless you revise ALL the downstairs venting at the same time.
3. The tub is NOT vented now, so where would the shower drain be vented?
4. I think you may have to "rethink" your revisions.
5. And here I was thinking you had a "neat' curved shower area, which would have pleased Frank Lloyd Wright

KyleT

Reaction score
Hi hj, thanks for the reply.
To be clear, the tub will be removed entirely and not replaced.

Re. 2: the old shower drain drops through the floor in the middle of the room, with the vent heading to the far wall. I will continue using the same vertical drain, but use the horizontal section of the old vent as the drain for my new vanity, keeping the same vertical vent piping above the vanity flood level.

Re. 3: where the old vanity sink was (you can still see the P trap) is the location I was going to use for the new shower/toilet vent.

Re. 4: the only reason I'm not using the existing sink and shower drains as they are is that the current shower drain is only 1.5" and would be difficult to retrofit to 2" down to the basement.

I'm still concerned whether wet-venting the toilet with the shower like that is acceptable.

-Kyle

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks