Changing Shower/Tub Faucet

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Plumb Dumb, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. Plumb Dumb

    Plumb Dumb New Member

    Nov 17, 2005
    My house was built in 1975 and has a one piece tub/shower surround(fiberglass, I think). The tub stretches wall to wall across the back of the bathroom. The current faucet is a washer type, and leaks quite often. I have changed the faucet stems, washers and seats, but within a few months it starts leaking again. What I would like to do is change the faucet to a washerless type. The problem is getting to the faucet. The head of the tub abutts the kitchen, and I would have to take out the kitchen cabinets to cut through from there. Does anyone know of a way I can cut through the fiberglass, replace the faucet, and then repair the fiberglass? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm at my wits end. :p
  2. jimbo

    jimbo Plumber

    Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    1. An overhaul on a faucet stem should not leak within " a few months" if you do it right. Use just a dab of dope or teflon tape on seat thread. Get monel seats. Use blue or red washers, rather than black.

    2. Having said all that, if this is a 2 or 3 handle Price Pfister, most models you can remove the seats and leave them out. Then, replace the entire stem with ceramic disc versions. You should get a "remodel kit" which has stems and the proper trim pieces to fit.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. Cass

    Cass Plumber

    Nov 12, 2005
    They do make a large cover plate for doing that conversion. They allow you to cut enough of the wall to do just what your wanting to do. These are used primarily in rental conversions and are not good looking in my opinion.
  5. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    One question. What is the make of faucet? Come back with the correct answer and the changeover could be almost painless.
  6. plumber1

    plumber1 Plumber

    Aug 7, 2005

    I see three images, Price Pfister, Sayco, and Sterling.
    Probably wrong.
    Like the man says, get a name and those parts should be available to you.
Similar Threads: Changing Shower/Tub
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Three Handle Diverter - Changing Shower/Tub Diverter Turn Direction Dec 26, 2015
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Changing Single Handed Shower (Poly/Pex issue) Oct 7, 2016
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Advice on changing two handle shower valve Feb 5, 2016
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Thinset (thin-set) : Changing Water Ratio's that are spec'd by manufacture Oct 19, 2014
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Stacked Townhouse - changing tub drain for shower Sep 8, 2014

Share This Page