Changing plumbing under kitchen cabinet

Users who are viewing this thread

caroth

Reaction score
Hi guys, great site you have here. I have searched and have a few questions that I have not found the answer for yet.

We are doing a kitchen remodel and have a sink on an exterior wall below a window. The plumbing supply lines come from the floor, the drain exits the right side of the cabinet to the corner of the kitchen. Here are a few pictures of the current cabinet. (yes, the cabinet floor is missing, damage from a previous owner).
plumbing1.jpg

plumbing4.jpg

plumbing3.jpg

The water filter will go away. The dishwasher and refrigerator are to the left of the sink. There will not be a corner cabinet so the area will be void. We removed soffets above the old wall cabinets and a vent line was capped so we will need to install an Air Admittance Valve in the drain line before the drain pipe enters the wall.

Since the AAV needs access and the right side of the cabinet will already have a hole for the drain, I will create a removable panel on the right side of the sink cabinet.

In an effort to not swiss-cheese the new base cabinet, here are my questions:

The water supply lines are on coming from the floor, can I change the supply line location by installing 90°s and redirect the water lines in the toe kick area to enter on the right side of the cabinet adjacent to the drain pipe? My thought was to install the shut off valves in the dead space to the right of cabinet where the removable access panel is and run flexible supply hoses to the sink as normal. Does code prevent this?

Does the dishwasher drain stack pipe need to be in the sink cabinet or can it also live in the dead space to the right of the sink cabinet, accessed by the removable panel? I found that I cannot connect to disposal, must have stackpipe: http://www.sos.state.co.us/CCR/GenerateRulePdf.do?ruleVersionId=1205

Can I run the dishwasher drain line from the dishwasher to the left, under the sink cabinet in the toe kick area and to the drain stack or disposal?

The need to eliminate as much plumbing from the sink base is caused by the cabinet we chose which is an Ikea sink drawer cabinet like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79040847/

Thanks for any advise and replies.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you look under your kitchen sink and find more that one p-trap, you can be sure that the no talent "plumber" who installed it is going straight to hell.
Your dishwasher drain can usually be connected to an aperture especially and laboriously engineered into the side of the disposer to accommodate the drainage thereof.
Is there a code issue here?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"The water supply lines are on coming from the floor, can I change the supply line location by installing 90°s and redirect the water lines in the toe kick area to enter on the right side of the cabinet adjacent to the drain pipe? My thought was to install the shut off valves in the dead space to the right of cabinet where the removable access panel is and run flexible supply hoses to the sink as normal. Does code prevent this?"

- You can do that.

"Can I run the dishwasher drain line from the dishwasher to the left, under the sink cabinet in the toe kick area and to the drain stack or disposal?"

- No. The correct way would be: from the DW to an Air Gap installed in one of the sink holes, and from the Air Gap to the GD via a GD hose. Caution: If you do this, you have to knock out the seal in the GD attachment.

After you do the above, you will have no need for the "stack" and the additional "trap". Cut the ABS drain just after the GD trap and re-do the 90, eliminating the DW trap all together.

caroth

Reaction score
If you look under your kitchen sink and find more that one p-trap, you can be sure that the no talent "plumber" who installed it is going straight to hell.
Your dishwasher drain can usually be connected to an aperture especially and laboriously engineered into the side of the disposer to accommodate the drainage thereof.
Is there a code issue here?
I am confused did you provide advice or a solution or just rant?

caroth

Reaction score
"The water supply lines are on coming from the floor, can I change the supply line location by installing 90°s and redirect the water lines in the toe kick area to enter on the right side of the cabinet adjacent to the drain pipe? My thought was to install the shut off valves in the dead space to the right of cabinet where the removable access panel is and run flexible supply hoses to the sink as normal. Does code prevent this?"

- You can do that.

"Can I run the dishwasher drain line from the dishwasher to the left, under the sink cabinet in the toe kick area and to the drain stack or disposal?"

- No. The correct way would be: from the DW to an Air Gap installed in one of the sink holes, and from the Air Gap to the GD via a GD hose. Caution: If you do this, you have to knock out the seal in the GD attachment.

After you do the above, you will have no need for the "stack" and the additional "trap". Cut the ABS drain just after the GD trap and re-do the 90, eliminating the DW trap all together.

Thanks for the reply and advice! I would like to avoid the above counter top airgap and according to the link posted from the state I can still use a separately trapped airgap below the counter top level. It also appears the separately trapped airgap can exist outside of the sink cabinet as long as it is accessible. http://www.sos.state.co.us/CCR/GenerateRulePdf.do?ruleVersionId=1205 Page 6. Not sure how to package the trap and drain heading to the drain pipe to the right. Ideas?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and advice! I would like to avoid the above counter top airgap and according to the link posted from the state I can still use a separately trapped airgap below the counter top level. It also appears the separately trapped airgap can exist outside of the sink cabinet as long as it is accessible. http://www.sos.state.co.us/CCR/GenerateRulePdf.do?ruleVersionId=1205 Page 6. Not sure how to package the trap and drain heading to the drain pipe to the right. Ideas?
Use one trap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF, and when, the sink drain plugs up, two things will happen. First the sink's drain water will overflow the DW standpipe, and THEN, if you turn on the disposer it will BLOW the water out and create a FLOOD in the cabinet.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am confused did you provide advice or a solution or just rant?
Both. I ranted because I didn't have time to properly reply to your inquiry. I had a backlog of venom waiting to unload on the first person who raised his head. That would be you. Sorry about that.
I have to admit that doing sink drains is probably my favorite plumbing job, but I've never done a stand pipe under the sink for the dishwasher, and never used more than one trap.
Best way to approach a sink drain ensemble is to bring a bushel basket of parts to the job to allow you to put things together in a way that meets code and properly ties things together so that it works properly for the long term. You get more options that way, with fewer trips to the home center.

There's a method to my madness, but I'll sit on it for now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks