Cast Iron Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

AfroJoJo

Reaction score
This is the main vent stack in our basement. It's getting rusty looking black oil/sludge sections on the hub joints. It doesn't have any odor to it, it just looks bad.

Is there any way to handle this without removing and replacing the pipes? I know it will eventually need to be replaced, but is there something I could do to make it look better?

20190823_210334.jpg

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
FYI

"This is the main vent stack "

Stack vents do NOT require a cleanout soil and waste stacks and leader lines do

CKent

Reaction score
Yeah, I've the same issue. Stuff smells like tar, I'm afraid it'd seep up and through.

@Sylvan : You're saying I could use goof-off to dry it out so I could paint over it ?

@AfroJoJo : I know its just been a few days, but did you try it yet?

CKent

Reaction score
@James Henry :

Clean it: Goof off?
Prime it: Any advice on paint ?
Shellac: Cool, very nice, will do.
Paint it: I assume at that point I could any paint?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would wipe the whole pipe down with a citrus based cleaner then rinse, PVA Primer, sand down shellac finish, the imperfections will show in the paint. I would use a latex paint in case you want to paint over it. There will always be tiny movement in the joint of the stack so don't count on it lasting forever.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks