Cast iron floor drain super slow

Users who are viewing this thread

Geo422

Reaction score
Hi I have a question about drains . House was built 1938 cast iron stack and floor drain in Basement concrete floor nothing is connected to the drain system since we are redoing the inside of house.
Yesterday I called a drain service company out to check the floor drain. Since water was very slow in draining.the service man used a small snake on floor drain got a bunch of junk out didn’t help much then put a scope down the toilet waste line toilet was removed . Then he went to a bigger snake and pulled out a bath towel ( I was there and saw the towel)
Then he scope the drain line again and all I could see was what he called scale laying on bottom of drain. Said it was as clean as he could get it and if I wanted then scale and small stuff out then he suggested water jetting.
The floor drain is made of cast iron and was still draining slow but a lot better.
Service guy said if I wanted a better floor drain then I had to replace the cast iron one.
My question Is water Jetting a good ideal? And why would the cast iron floor drain be so slow when main drain is open?
And would replacing it with a new drain help?
Sorry about been so curious and thanks everyone for all advice and input!!! George Terry

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The floor drain is at least 2" and should accept water as fast as you can pour it in. Many floor drains have a cleanout plug built into them so that the line can be cleared with a rotary snake using a head sized for the line. Cast iron does develop scale and a garden hose at 60-80 psi (if the volume is available) will push it down the line, but unless you are equipped to clear a pile of scale out of the line, there is some risk in trying to DIY. If you are going to pay for a service, they should clear the line all the way to the municipal sewer or septic tank.

Geo422

Reaction score
Hi I have a question about drains . House was built 1938 cast iron stack and floor drain in Basement concrete floor nothing is connected to the drain system since we are redoing the inside of house.
Yesterday I called a drain service company out to check the floor drain. Since water was very slow in draining.the service man used a small snake on floor drain got a bunch of junk out didn’t help much then put a scope down the toilet waste line toilet was removed . Then he went to a bigger snake and pulled out a bath towel ( I was there and saw the towel how did a bath towel get i
Then he scope the drain line again and all I could see was what he called scale laying on bottom of drain. Said it was as clean as he could get it and if I wanted then scale and small stuff out then he suggested water jetting.
The floor drain is made of cast iron and was still draining slow but a lot better.
Service guy said if I wanted a better floor drain then I had to replace the cast iron one.
My question Is water Jetting a good ideal? And why would the cast iron floor drain be so slow when main drain is open?
And would replacing it with a new drain help?
Sorry about been so curious and thanks everyone for all advice and input!!! George Terry
The floor drain is at least 2" and should accept water as fast as you can pour it in. Many floor drains have a cleanout plug built into them so that the line can be cleared with a rotary snake using a head sized for the line. Cast iron does develop scale and a garden hose at 60-80 psi (if the volume is available) will push it down the line, but unless you are equipped to clear a pile of scale out of the line, there is some risk in trying to DIY. If you are going to pay for a service, they should clear the line all the way to the municipal sewer or septic tank.
all of that was done
all of that was done

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Who knows what is inside 80 year old cast iron pipes. If it is only the floor drain with the problem there should be a trap. Crud could have harden like concrete. Perhaps jetting is needed or a plumber with a camera on a snake.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The floor drain should have a trap and after 80 years who knows what’s in it. Crud could have harden like concrete. A snake or power snake may have only punched a hole in the blockage.

I just purchased a Clog Hog jetter I used on my pressure washer. I was able to break through harden grease and soap that was years in the making. Jetting is the best way to clear and clean pipe walls.

A plumber with a camera snake can tell where and what the block is.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Normally before snaking or even water Jetting a floor drain I like to use a Wet dry vacuum (6 HP Sears on sale under $100.)

The 21/2" hose removes all types of debris including rocks and scale and rags

Place a rag around the hose for a better seal

Then use a clog chopper head made by General as it will cut though old cement ,grouting etc you may need a cable leader to pass though the trap if your using a 1/2" cable or larger

Water Jetting is great for soft stoppages such as grease and soil and soap scum

A camera is useless if there is standing water in the drain

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks