Can't remove 1/4 turn valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by nhdon, Jun 5, 2016.

1. nhdon

nhdon New Member

Hello,
    I am installing a dishwasher and need to replace the hot water shut off valve with one that will supply hot water to the faucet and the dishwasher. The problem is that the existing 1/4 turn shut off valve won't come off...it just spins and spins(it looks like it is fitted over a plastic sleeve). I can't remove it or tighten it.
    Can anyone tell me how you remove this type of valve? My concern is that it is some type of fitting that is in place over the pipe that connects the valve, which means I won't be able to swap it out.
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Usually if you post a photo (800 pixels and 200 KB max) it helps get good info.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. nhdon

nhdon New Member

Thanks...was on my way to take a picture when you replied.

Attached Files:

5. flapper

flapper Member

That is a push fitting (aka Sharkbite fitting)! To release it, you need to push that brown/tan ring upwards into the valve using a removal tool. You can buy one, or make your own. Alternatively you may be able to use pliers or something, but basically you need to push the ring up into the fitting to release.

6. nhdon

nhdon New Member

Thanks flapper. I assumed it was something like that. My concern now is if I remove it, will there be threads under it or will it just be copper pipe...and if I remove it, can I put it back on if there are no threads?

7. flapper

flapper Member

It will just be copper pipe, and you can re-attach it, or attach something else.

8. nhdon

nhdon New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Not much sense in removing it then...my replacement valve needs threads to attach it.
    Any idea if they make a dual outlet sharkbite valve? My wife has been after me to install this dishwasher and when I finally clear the time to do it, I'm not properly equipped...I'll never hear the end of this!

9. flapper

flapper Member

Are you looking for dual outlet or dual valve?

This valve is a dual-outlet compression valve. This is a dual-valve.

Those are attached with compression fittings. Compression fittings are similar to push-fittings in that they attach to bare pipe. Push-fittings are just pushed on, while compression fittings are attached by tightening the nut. In a push-fitting, the seal is made by an O-ring and it is held on by stainless steel teeth. In a compression fitting, a brass ring is compressed against the pipe and the sides of the fitting, when tightening, to make the seal. A push-fitting is a type of compression fitting.

You can learn more about the fittings here:

I couldn't find any dual-outlet or dual-vale valves with push-fitting.

10. flapper

flapper Member

Instead of replacing the valve, you can get an adapter to connect two hoses to one valve. I couldn't figure out the keywords to find it on Home Depot's website, but in the store, they are located nearby the stop valves.

11. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

flapper likes this.
  12. flapper

flapper Member

13. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    The steel teeth in the Sharkbite fitting, if you twirled the valve around, may have gouged a good size notch in the pipe...be careful, it might be tougher to get a compression fitting to seal once you get it off.

14. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

If you know how to solder, you could do what I've been doing for years:

- Cut the pipe just below the valve or just past the elbow. Clean.
    - Attach a 3 way compression valve 3/8"x 3/8"x 1/2".

If you want to separate the water supply for the faucet from the water supply for the DW, install two regular compression valves on the same pipe.
    Multi turn or 1/4 turn, it doesn't matter.