Can tub drain be fixed with a Tee saddle on cast?

Users who are viewing this thread

bnewland

Reaction score
I've had water in my crawlspace since I moved into this house, and found the source.
It's from the tub drain where it meets the toilet drain line, then goes to the septic tank. I attached a pic. What is the best way to fix it? Does the cast drain line need to be replaced too, or can I use something like a saddle?

Attachments

• drainfar1.jpg
    drainfar1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 82
  • draincast.jpg
    draincast.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 82
  • tubdrain.jpg
    tubdrain.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 79
  • drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 78
  • TST-4.jpg
    TST-4.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 77

bnewland

Reaction score
Can someone advise me on the condition of the waste line where the tub drain connects? Replace or repair?

Attachments

• IMG_20230424_163809.jpg
    IMG_20230424_163809.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 77

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The best method is going to be to cut a new Combination WYE and 1/8th bend fitting into the main drain where its busted.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Never seen a galvanized drain pipe going into a drilled out (or a torch used to burn a hole) cast iron pipe. Looks like it was epoxied in.
It would be easy enough to replace the tub drain with PVC but the connection to the main can be a problem. A plumber with the right tools to break into the cast iron pipe and insert a wye is probably the only way. Hard to say just from pictures. The saddle could work but it would only be a patch, not a permanent fix and if you can get it in the size you need. If you ever sold the home using a saddle could be a problem on an house inspection.

bnewland

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Tuttles Revenge. Is it a good idea to replace the line going to the septic tank (which is only 10' or so, heading to the left in the pic of post#2)?

bnewland

Reaction score
As it is right now, the tub drains 50% into the crawlspace, and gets sump pumped out to the field in the front of the house.
This is the time to choose a permanent solution. This waste line is only the toilet+tub+sink-->septic tank. The attached pics are the toilet. Should I replace everything cast from the second pic to the septic? What material, if so?

Attachments

• IMG_20230405_201225 copy.jpg
    IMG_20230405_201225 copy.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20230405_201231 copy.jpg
    IMG_20230405_201231 copy.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 79

bnewland

Reaction score
WorthFlorida, yeah, there aren't any building codes in my county I am told, so it doesn't surprise me that things were done funky ways. My local plumber is really busy and I try to do everything I possibly can.
I know right past the foundation it is pvc to the septic tank, but I have not dug it up yet to see how the connection from cast to pvc is done. What is usually done?

bnewland

Reaction score
I'm going with Tuttle's Revenge suggested method, inserting a combination WYE and 1/8th bend fitting. Thanks for the advise. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Make sure to support the cast pipe on each side of the cut prior to cutting so the pipe doesn't move in the hubs up and down stream of the cut.

I recently was visiting a distant relative in Idaho and they had a very similar installation of a shower.. but 10x worse connection.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
There are building codes for every state. It is the local jurisdiction determines the level code enforcement. Usually it is no less than at the county level. Incorporated cities usually will have there own engineering and permitting departments.

bnewland

Reaction score
If I cut the 4" cast on the right side of the damage, it fits into the abs 4x4x2 comb wye 1/8" bend, right? How do you fasten the cast to the abs? (edit: would you do a short piece of 4"abs with a fernco coupler to the 4" cast?)
The other 4" side of the wye will have 4" abs out to the septic tank, replacing the last bit of cast -> pvc -> septic. The tub drain will go to the 2" side of the wye.
Does this sound correct?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I cut the 4" cast on the right side of the damage, it fits into the abs 4x4x2 comb wye 1/8" bend, right? How do you fasten the cast to the abs? (edit: would you do a short piece of 4"abs with a fernco coupler to the 4" cast?)
The other 4" side of the wye will have 4" abs out to the septic tank, replacing the last bit of cast -> pvc -> septic. The tub drain will go to the 2" side of the wye.
Does this sound correct?
That all is correct. Start with good cast iron. Be prepared to grind off any raised lettering. Use the transition band for CI to PL as noted. Then if you're so inclined to replace the remainder with ABS or PVC out to the septic you can. Some jurisdictions limit the use of ABS/PVC that is rated for interior use.. and only Sewer rated gasketed or solid core pvc for sewer outside the home.

bnewland

Reaction score
I took all the cast off below the wall hung carrier. It seemed cleaner.
What should I join the ci carrier to pvc with?
Then i'll just use a 90 to 4" pvc with a combo wye then pvc out the foundation to the septic tank. The tub drain will connect to the wye.
[edit: tried to attach pics, but they did not show up. Here's external link:
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/oIvI9r2zSeK8q2Wv9v7ibA.6LDPOWcTym-iDgsrRpYBTF ]

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cast to plastic is made with a clamping adapter.. fernco, mission and other brands make them. They have specific diameters to transition from the outside diameters of each material you're working with. So a Cast X Plastic or CI X PL band Part #3000-44

You will need to know the diameters of your pipe.. If its 4" then the above example would most likely work.

BTW.. PICs don't appear to be able to be uploaded to the site. You might need to upload offsite and post a link.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use abs because its what is localy prefered I dont know why but 36 years thats what Ive used and we dont see pvc draiage fittings in big box stores here at all. or you might concider cost differances? but other places differant states you wont even find abs So Id go with what the local places sell and use the bands to join to cast iron that tuttles suggested .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks