Can I replace the control unit on this water softener resin tank?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by nazrat, Jun 17, 2008.

  1. nazrat

    nazrat New Member

    Feb 16, 2007
    We've had a rainsoft water softener in the house for at least 20 years now. A few years back the resin tank needed to be replaced, so we had that done. Less than a year after that the control unit expired (it doesn't soften or regenerate, but it does backflush).

    I had the people out who have been servicing these two units (our acid neutralizer is next to it) for a long time and he made some phone calls and claimed that parts weren't available for this control unit anymore, but he could replace it (for big bucks). I passed.

    My question is: Can I just buy a new control unit for this resin tank/brine tank? I see that many here recommend the Clack and Fleck valves. Are either of these likely to work? My resin tank is about 4' tall and 8 or 9" in diameter.

    Here's a pic:


    P.S. I know that both units are bypassed right now. Tomorrow I'm replacing the 8" section of copper below the acid neutralizer bypass as it has developed a pin hole.
  2. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    Why throw good money after bad? The softener has outlived its usefullness and should be taken off life support. A new softener will have on demand regeneration and a new resin bed.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. Gary Slusser

    Gary Slusser That's all folks!

    Aug 31, 2004
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    With acidic water, you should be using plastic to all the equipment.

    I agree with HJ and, your old tank probably will not accept an industry standard control valve. Rainsoft had tanks made to their specs.

    And your AN filter has no top dome hole so they have to come out to service it AND, you have the same type control valve on it as the one on the softener; that aren't made anymore. Plus the fact that the softener is at best a 3/4 cuft unit, if not a 1/2 cuft and probably very undersized. Also, teh control valve on the filter can't be removed very easily when you need to add more mineral.

    They both have earned retirement. I suggest a metered Clack WS-1 control valve on a new softener and possibly a new TDH type AN filter with one also.
Similar Threads: replace control
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Computer-controlled digging for water main replacement? Aug 2, 2007
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Whirlpool water heater gas control valve replacement Feb 25, 2007
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Copper Into Cast Iron - Drain Pipe Replacement Oct 2, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Replaced Gerber shower stems with water flow? Sep 16, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice How to Easily Replace Shower Handles Sep 6, 2017

Share This Page