Can I remove this drain valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Arizona

Reaction score
4 year old Westinghouse stainless tank. I'm pretty sure I installed the drain valve with teflon tape and Rector seal T +2. Obviously I didn't get it sealed correctly. Is it too late to try to remove and clean and reseal? I don't want to break anything in process or find out threads are trashed and I should have left it until dead. I was thinking soak it in wd40 or similar for a few days, but I'd love some feedback. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-8764.jpg
    IMG-8764.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 52

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
WD-40 is great for water displacement, but hardly good for much of anything else
Definitely looks like a leak. The method you described should’ve been fool proof. Unless you put the Teflon on in the wrong direction. Pull it and redo it it should be fine.

Arizona

Reaction score
Follow up.... I cranked on it just a little and it's loose. I plan on draining, cleaning, and starting from scratch with new valve. thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks