Can I move an outdoor AC unit without disconnecting it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Aristoc

Reaction score
I have 10 year old outdoor Carrier Comfort model central AC unit standing on a paving stone on the ground. It is then connected by pipes and cable that goes into the house about 1 foot away from the house wall or so. I need to move about 1 foot over because it is blocking a path.
Can I move it without disconnecting the pipes/cables? It seems light and I did level it once.

Thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You're better off getting an AC tech to properly do it. Trying to save $300-$400 may cost a lot more. Not sure what the rates are in CA but in Florida it's about $125 US an hour. It would take at least two hours and more likely three hours billable.

If there is enough slack and you're careful not to cause a kink and the direction from where they come out of the ground, it can be moved. The lines are soft copper so they are a bit forgiving but without seeing it I cannot be for sure but 12" from the house there really is no slack.

Problem is if the lines get kink, not problem for an AC tech to evacuate the system, cut the lines add some copper and braze everything back. If the larger line was not kinked, the refrigerant is stored in the compressor unit and not much would be lost. After all work is done the pressure gauge will determine if you need to add refrigerant.

If a line breaks and leaks, now your talking around 15-19 lbs of refrigerant and that is expensive plus labor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's highly unlikely that there's 12" of slack in the refrigerant lines. The same might be true about the power lines. In the US, it's illegal to just dump the refrigerant into the atmosphere, and, the stuff is expensive. So, moving it would entail first vacuuming out all of the refrigerant (it can be reused), cutting the lines, moving the thing, and then reassembling the thing, pulling a vacuum on the lines after reconnected, and then filling the system back up with the required oil and refrigerant. Depending on what type of refrigerant in the system, it could be REALLY expensive.

But, without being there to see what's going on, you might be lucky.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks