Can I hook a bathroom sink to drain line downstrem from vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lisa Childers

Reaction score
upload_2020-1-7_16-30-56.png

upload_2020-1-7_16-27-58.jpeg

We are remodeling a bathroom. The existing drain line for the vanity entered the vanity from the right side crossing over underneath to the left side in order to connect a 2nd bowl. We are replacing that vanity with a single bowl and lots of drawers. The drain needs to be at the back side to prevent interference with the drawers. To the right side of the vanity is the wall where the vent stack resides. On the other side of the wall is a small 1 piece shower. The horizontal line that extends past this vent towards the shower ends 12" further to the right, as if at some point it connected to the shower.

1st question: Can we drain the sink at the back side of the vanity and hook into the drain line downstream of the vent? Or do we need to somehow get over to the Wye fixture area and hook in there? If the best venting solution is in the wall behind the vanity it could be done but it will require putting a new hole in the roof and I hate to do that when there is a perfectly good (roof hole does not leak) vent 22" away. LOL
upload_2020-1-7_16-27-29.jpeg

We are also replacing the shower with a larger tiled walk-in. So, after I find the solution to the sink, I have to address the shower.

As mentioned above, it looks like the horizontal drain was connected to the shower. But now it ends and the shower drain turns right to a vent stack in the exterior wall to the right of the shower, then bends back and runs to the main line on a dedicated line. This configuration looks like it was modified at some point. The top plate where the vent stack exits the roof has water damage, the bottom plate is damaged also and it appears as though someone tried to repair it before. The drain line for the shower is using 1 1/2 inch pipe which is just not right especially for such a larger shower.

So for the shower.... can I eliminate the vent stack where ts is damaged and simply hook into the same horizontal line that services the sink? The tie in would be up-stream from the vent. Is this allowed? Does the type of connection there have an affect on the effectiveness of the drain? Or does the shower really need its own line in this configuration?
upload_2020-1-7_16-37-16.jpeg

Here is how I would like it to work.

upload_2020-1-7_16-44-30.png

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks