Brass sprinkler head stuck on riser

Users who are viewing this thread

Gallo Machisimo

New Member
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Points
3
Location
Elkhart, IN
Hi all. My house has a vintage sprinkler system that was put in when the house was built in 1965. The lines are copper and the heads that are still original are brass. Over time they have dropped below the surface level of the lawn, so I am trying to raise them. The first two I did had been replaced before so they came off easily. This one has likely been here the full 57 years and doesn't want to budge.
I tried pipe wrenches, then heating the lower end of the brass head with a torch. So far no luck. My uncle said the brass will likely take a lot of heat to expand so I'll try that again. Aside from that I figure I can try penetrating oil. Any other ideas?
Worst case scenario, could i cut it off and rethread the riser? Thanks in advance for your help.

Screenshot_20220608-215900_Gallery.jpg
 

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Messages
5,107
Reaction score
1,116
Points
113
Location
92346
If it is standard 1/2" copper, cut the pipe and use a shark bite coupler to extend it up with the other end with 1/2" PVC. Coupler might seem a little expensive but it sure makes a much faster and easier job.
sure looks like a threaded ips nipple and honestly ignored the copper comment since i never saw a copper nipple. perhaps it has copper mains with adapters. I was thinking of unscrewing the head and adding a coupling with nipple of proper length and material of choice
 

Gallo Machisimo

New Member
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Points
3
Location
Elkhart, IN
sure looks like a threaded ips nipple and honestly ignored the copper comment since i never saw a copper nipple. perhaps it has copper mains with adapters. I was thinking of unscrewing the head and adding a coupling with nipple of proper length and material of choice
I'm not sure what it is to be honest. That's the problem with expert level expectation and beginner level skill and experience. I know the main 2" line that feeds it is copper, and a number of the "stalk" type heads I have sticking up in the bushes and such are copper, but it could definitely be something else here.
I think I might hit it with some sandpaper just to see what I have. I have bigger wrenches, penetrating oil, and the torch, so this weekend I'll be working at it to try to remove it without breaking anything. I hope I come up with a good method, because I have around 10 more that need to be raised. :D
 

Reach4

Well-Known Member
Messages
35,094
Reaction score
3,579
Points
113
Location
IL
I would be tempted to slice off that copper pipe with an angle grinder, and put a Sharkebite coupler on the pipe after I cleaned up the pipe surface and the edge.
 
Top
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks