Boiler shutting off... water pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYmomAK

Reaction score
Hello! We are having some boiler issues we need to fix ASAP. My husband and I are very much DIY-ers, and so we're trying to sort this out :)

We have a Weil-McLain Gold oil boiler, last serviced about 10mo ago, in a 4000+ sf house in AK. In December we noticed our water pressure was suddenly way down and our Kinetico was running/draining nonstop. Later that day we noticed the temp was dropping, and the boiler had shut off. We bypassed the Kinetico, got the boiler going again, and called the Kinetico repair guy. There's only one in the state and he no-showed several consecutive times... we finally thought to change our our in-line filter (oops), pressure was good again, turned the Kinetico back on. Everything was fine for a few weeks (other than using an insane amount of oil), and then one day we realized we had no hot water. Boiler had shut off again... the little red lockout light wasn't on, and hitting the red reset button did nothing. We flipped the system switch off and back on, and a few seconds later the boiler fired right up. System ran fine for a few days, then shut off again in the middle of the night (when it hit -30°... awesome). Again, we had to flip the system switch off and on and it was running fine again. Checked it in the middle of the night, boiler wasn't currently running so we flipped the switch just in case. That morning we woke up to a bunch of water--the check valve on the water fill pipe had gone bad. Quick replacement! System ran okay for a few days, aaaaand again woke up to the boiler off. Again, flip the switch and right back on without having to do a thing. Now it's happening much more frequently, including the past two nights. The water softener has been running all afternoon despite no water running in the house all day. Pressure on the boiler when it's running (I didn't think to check today while it was off) is ~12PSI. Zones are calling for heat when it's off, but it doesn't fire up. It's not a constant problem, though; sometimes it fires up just fine.

Any suggestions? The strangest part is that it doesn't ever seem to lock out... it's like the boiler just falls asleep, resetting doesn't work, and then when we flip the main switch off and back on, it wakes up and goes about its job. It's winter and we have little kids, so I really super appreciate any insight that will get this problem kicked quickly :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks