Boiler Intermittently not firing up on call for Heat

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by ClFrank13, Jan 30, 2021.

1. ClFrank13

ClFrank13 New Member

I have a Slantfin Sentinel SE 140 (gas boiler) with a Honeywell L8148E 1273 aquastat that I had no issues with sine installed 15 year ago.

My system has 2 zones, in one of my heating zones when there is a call for heat it intermittently fails to fire up the boiler - if that zone does fail, the zone valve opens but the boiler wont fire up unless I do a power cycle to the boiler or lower the temperature on the thermostat below the set point and then raise it back up. This only happens in that one zone - the two zones share the same circulator pump and the circulator pump won't kick on either if that zone fails (unless the other zone id cal;ling for heat).

After doing some research, I understand this specific aquastat is very flaky - and figured I start by replacing that but since it only happens in the one zone intermittently, I am curious if anyone has suggestions on what else to look for. I verified it s not the thermostat because I switched the stats to the two zones and the problem stays with the same zone.

Thanks in advance

Cliff

2. fitter30

fitter30 Well-Known Member

Retired service tech
    Honeywell aquastat looks like it has a open relay. If the relay is pulled in should make boiler contacts to start boiler. Having to turn thermostat down and then back up boiler seems to have a signal but has failed to lite and locked itself out. Does your your boiler have a ignition module? Take a pic of the wiring diagram and module if it has one.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. ClFrank13

ClFrank13 New Member

Thanks for the response. It has a standing pilot - no ignition module.

5. fitter30

Retired service tech
    Standing pilot or spark ignition?

6. ClFrank13

ClFrank13 New Member

Standing Pilot

7. fitter30

Retired service tech
    Screenshot_2021-01-30-15-07-39.png Flue damper open thermostat is calling check roll out and vent switches. Meter gas valve th terminal check both safeties for 24 volts

8. ClFrank13

ClFrank13 New Member

Just failed again, if I tap on the zone valve it fires up - I assume its a bad connection to the end switch

9. fitter30

Retired service tech
    If you don't want to replace zone valve just wire in a relay powered by valve.

10. ClFrank13

ClFrank13 New Member

Thanks for all your responses... it must have been a faulty connection of the zone valve wasn't triggering the end switch - after removing and re-tightening all the wire nuts last week, its been working fine... Thanks again!