Boiler, Air in lines, no purge valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
What the heck does a gauge "read" from the floor ??? ALL reading are ABOVE the boiler not below

Using the floor as the reference plane is fine, if the boiler is mounted in a sump/well, with the gauge at basement floor level, instead of raised well above the floor on blocks, like the boiler in the picture. :)

I'm aware of at least one cast iron boiler in Brooklyn mounted in a shed dormer, above the top floor ceiling, above ALL the radiation. How relevant is the vertical distance from the basement floor for the pressure settings for that system? The top of the near-boiler plumbing is the highest point on the system.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Dana, seems you took a page out of one of my postings on another site from 1999 (your right on the money)

I dunno about that. I read they passed some changes to the laws of physics in the early oughts, about the same time it was legislated that pi=3.00 or something (?)

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Dana your right the boiler should set in a deep then maybe it should be counted ..

Nah just kidding

It is truly amazing how "fitters" are lobster traps

Here is Christ The kings boiler in a pit (no sump)

Attachments

• Christ1.jpg
    Christ1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 149

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Using the floor as the reference plane is fine, if the boiler is mounted in a sump/well, with the gauge at basement floor level, instead of raised well above the floor on blocks, like the boiler in the picture. :)

I'm aware of at least one cast iron boiler in Brooklyn mounted in a shed dormer, above the top floor ceiling, above ALL the radiation. How relevant is the vertical distance from the basement floor for the pressure settings for that system? The top of the near-boiler plumbing is the highest point on the system.

Dana was this on Miller ave?

We were hired to install a boiler on the roof to save valuable space below. I wonder what happens when the boiler splits open during a test?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I don't know the address- it was in a video about a deep energy retrofit on a multi-story (4 occupied floors?) apartment building taking it to near PassiveHouse levels without going crazy on the budget.

Installing pan under the boiler of sufficient size with an adequate drain can probably manage modestly sized cast iron boiler failures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks