Best Water Softener Salt

Users who are viewing this thread

WorldPeace

Reaction score
I've looked around but I can't seem to find any info on the best brands for water softener salt. I've read that evaporated salt is the best because the purity is at 99.99%. Unfortunately, no retailer publishes the type of salt they are selling. On BobVilla.com, it states that Moron salt is evaporated but I don't know if that's accurate. Further, from what people have been saying, Diamond seems like the better brand.

Does anyone know which salt brands are evaporated salt?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I think it will be good which has more surface area
I don't think that matters with the usual softener. In a classic softener using sodium salt, the brine tank gets filled with water at the end of the regen cycle. There are many days for the brine to get saturated with salt. You can buy softener salt in 25 pound cubes (approximately), and those will work perfectly fine despite having a much lower surface area.

CamuaS

Reaction score
I don't think that matters with the usual softener. In a classic softener using sodium salt, the brine tank gets filled with water at the end of the regen cycle. There are many days for the brine to get saturated with salt. You can buy softener salt in 25 pound cubes (approximately), and those will work perfectly fine despite having a much lower surface area.

I agree with you that it's not a priority, but if they're similar in quality, we might consider it.

Reach4

Reaction score
A bigger concern would be the potential for "bridging".

I use Morton Pellets. They have low non-dissolvable content. I expect Diamond to be of similar quality, but the Morton adds a bit of iron-fighting treatment even into their non-iron-fighting salt. If using city water, or other water with no iron, I might use Aldi salt. I have used that, but I do see advantage in the Morton additives.

If I lived in an area where solar salt was cheaper than brand name pellets, I might consider that. Do not use rock salt, and for sure do not use road salt.

You should plan to clean out your brine tank after maybe 2000 to 4000 lbs of salt, but that would not be a hard and fast rule. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/thoughts-on-how-often-to-clean-the-brine-tank.62381/ has some discussion.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks