Best Acid Neutralizer

Users who are viewing this thread

Pitz

Reaction score
We just bought a house and it appears that the existing acid neutralizer is no longer working. Our recent water test shows a PH of 6.5. (Also the backwash box on top has a slow leak.)

We want to purchase a new one and got a quote from our plumber who is asking $1900.

I just saw this system online - does anyone recommend it? It's call an up-flow style which doesn't require backwashing.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/neutral.html

Reach4

Reaction score
We just bought a house and it appears that the existing acid neutralizer is no longer working. Our recent water test shows a PH of 6.5. (Also the backwash box on top has a slow leak.)
Is that a test on your water before the neutralizer? 6.5 is where they draw the line between neutralizing needed or not.

Your existing unit may just need calcite added, and the controller may be rebuildable. That seems preferable to an upflow unit.

Pitz

Reaction score
Is that a test on your water before the neutralizer? 6.5 is where they draw the line between neutralizing needed or not.

Your existing unit may just need calcite added, and the controller may be rebuildable. That seems preferable to an upflow unit.

The pH was from the tap, so after the neutralizer.

The plumber is saying the system is probably 20 years old and said he wouldn't know how to re-built it. Is that a DIY project?

I was also thinking it may need calcite but it's hard to tell how full it is.

Reach4

Reaction score
The plumber is saying the system is probably 20 years old and said he wouldn't know how to re-built it. Is that a DIY project?
Maybe. Post a picture of the controller with the cover off.

Also, describe the leak. Is it leaking into the drain line, or leaking outside of the controller?
I was also thinking it may need calcite but it's hard to tell how full it is.
If the tank is tan (unpainted), you can hold a bright light behind it in the dark. You can probably probe thru the port. I have never delt with such a tank. I am not a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks