Belled-end sewer pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I am planning a drain tile installation and our local junk store has ASTM 2729 sewer piping which is belled on one end. ASTM 2729 is apparently PVC, so I guess I can use regular pvc primer and glue to attach fittings?

Any tips or tricks to working with working with the belled-end pipe?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
SDR-26?
It's got a thicker wall than SDR-35.
Pretty much nothing to it.
You can also use gasketed fittings on it if you come up short on the belled stuff. You'll need Duck Butter if you use them...

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
belled pipe

Most belled PVC drainage pipe has a 4" internal diameter so that it matches sch. 40 pipes, BUT, since the wall thickness is thinner, that makes the o.d. smaller than conventional and if that pipe is made that way you will need an adapter bushing for EVERY connection you make to a standard PVC drain fitting.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.

Now, how about some advice on how to cut the stuff squarely? I was thinking of using a miter box, but 4" pipe is a pain since the box is not deep enough.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cut

Two ways.
1. Use your eyeball to make a straight cut.
2. wrap a strip of paper around the pipe. When it is tight to the pipe and both ends line up, make a pencil line around the circumference and then cut it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks