Becoming an Electrician?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
I've been contemplating changing careers. Mostly just the fact that I may be forced to in the future.

I'm fairly interested in getting into a trade. Electrical and Plumbing both attract me for different reasons.

So, in your state, what does it take to be an electrician? How much schooling, years as an apprentice, etc?

What kind of money does an apprentice make these days? I make 40-45K now at my primary job. My understanding is that an apprentice gets paid very little, so how much of a hit would I be taking, and for how long?

Is it what you thought it'd be? How so, or why not?

michel1

Reaction score
Introduction

Hello all the members of this forum My name is michel and I live in california and I am here to discuss some matters on plumbling.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I know a man who now works as an electrician alongside his father, and he got some advanced training and gained a lot of experience and certification working in the maintenance department of a large factory. Or you might look into some kind of trade school respected by prospective employers.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I picked up the power limited electrical license since it did not require "documented" experience at the time. (I have a two year vo-tech degree and lots of "non documented" experience)

The way I see it you will end up having to pay for some schooling in one way or another.

I would look into getting a journeyman license.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
You might want to post this @ Mike Holt's code forum. It's a pro-only electrician's board (no DIY questions allowed), but I doubt they'd mind this sort of question.

Probably get more responses, there's a lot more electricians there (including, I think, all the electricians who post here)

KD

Reaction score
Study Practical Electrical Wiring by H P Richter. Take an electrical night class at local community college. When your present job is over, call up every EC in the phone book, tell them you will work for apprentice wage. Get some work experience to find out if you have the temperament to be an Electrician. Then you could try to join the union. Electrical work is like being a very precise scientist in a lab and a football team player in the field. When I was younger, I loved the technology and the total kick booty physical exertion. People are stuck with no power, you repair it, and they see you as a wizard/scientist/Edison/Franklin/sports hero.

Last edited by a moderator:

madpenguin

Reaction score
I'd recommend the IEC program myself...

http://www.ieci.org/index.mv?screen=BecElect&xsub=1

2 nights a week in-class for 4 years along with on-the-job training with an electrical contractor til your journeyman certified. Do one more year for a total of 5 and take another test and you can strike out on your own if you wish.

I make 17 an hour as a new apprentice but maybe I'm lucky.. Dunno. Had previous experience and knew a lot already so maybe that's why.

Just taking a stab in the dark, but once certified, I would think you should at least be making upwards to 30 an hour. I've got an open invitation from an electrical contractor in the U.S. Virgin Islands for 28 an hour once I'm a Journeyman (cost of living is high there) so I guess that's what I'm going on. Could vary dramatically from state to state and contractor to contractor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks