Bathtub overflow repair

Users who are viewing this thread

MARTIN BOWERS

Reaction score
I have a corroded crossbar to the overflow and would like to replace gasket / crossbar and overflow cap. The drain seems to be brass and is in good shape. I broke off the head of the bolt on the left and stopped. Do I try to drill out the corroded steel bolts and retap threads in the brass? Is there a reno kit that attaches inside the brass overflow somehow and makes up a new crossbar? Is the tub itself so damaged not worth it and overflow will never seal?

img_20191212_154442~2.jpg

Bathtub is not accessible from outside the apartment and it is the only bathroom. Just hoping for another 5 years out of the system.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
You must be the owner of the apt or why would you care about a problem that doesn't come into play in the normal usage of a bathtub. Nice project for a cold winters weekend. Take your time in removal and cleanup, pop on the new and it will probably look too good.

MARTIN BOWERS

Reaction score
You must be the owner of the apt or why would you care about a problem that doesn't come into play in the normal usage of a bathtub. Nice project for a cold winters weekend. Take your time in removal and cleanup, pop on the new and it will probably look too good.
Yes I am the owner and lots of people will cycle water through the tub and into overflow (free hot water) or kids will splash around. That creates damage and mould to the bathroom below. I would rather make a leak impossible than attempt the impossible of changing people's behaviour. Drill and tap a hole in the far side of the overflow and use a single hole plate like this with a really long bolt to compress the gasket?

Screenshot_20191214-230751_Chrome.jpg

Otherwise any tips on the removal of the broken off bolts? EZ out? Heat? It's not something I can leisurely work on as access has to be arranged with tenant.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks