Bathroom group

Users who are viewing this thread

Oscarmeyer28

Reaction score
Can you use a 2" vent for a bathroom group ? Toilet,shower, sink. Looking to wet vent it. Tub ties into 3" trunk, sink ties into 3" trunk, shower ties into 3" trunk then a 2" vent on the 3" trunk.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
as long as they are "wet" . Unsure without drawing about the shower wet vent sounds iffy if its plumbed right yes

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you use a 2" vent for a bathroom group ?
Under the IPC, you could use a 1.5" vent.

Toilet,shower, sink. Looking to wet vent it. Tub ties into 3" trunk, sink ties into 3" trunk, shower ties into 3" trunk then a 2" vent on the 3" trunk.
But generally not like that. Each trap (sink, tub, shower) needs a vent connection on the trap arm before the trap arm falls more than one pipe inside diameter. The sink trap is highest, so it gets a 1.5" (minimum) dry vent connection. Then the sink drain turns down into the floor system and turns horizontal. The tub or shower joins it horizontally, and the combined drain needs to be 2". Then the shower or tub (respectively) joins it, and then the combined drain needs to be 3" if it is to wet vent a WC.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Oscarmeyer28

Reaction score
Under the IPC, you could use a 1.5" vent.

But generally not like that. Each trap (sink, tub, shower) needs a vent connection on the trap arm before the trap falls more than one pipe inside diameter. The sink trap is highest, so it gets a 1.5" (minimum) dry vent connection. Then the sink drain turns down into the floor system and turns horizontal. The tub or shower joins it horizontally, and the combined drain needs to be 2". Then the shower or tub (respectively) joins it, and then the combined drain needs to be 3" if it is to wet vent a WC.

Cheers, Wayne

It would look like this the sink would have a trap then use a sweep 90 to go down then a sweep 90 to the 3" trunk. I could probably put a 1 1/2" vent for the sink if I have too. My basement walls are icf so I can cut the styrofoam if I have to but I'd like to not....

Attachments

• 20210822_145111.jpg
    20210822_145111.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 177

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would look like this the sink would have a trap then use a sweep 90 to go down then a sweep 90 to the 3" trunk. I could probably put a 1 1/2" vent for the sink if I have too. My basement walls are icf so I can cut the styrofoam if I have to but I'd like to not....
still not clear the shower venting . 2 inch vents are no problem though

Oscarmeyer28

Reaction score
still not clear the shower venting . 2 inch vents are no problem though

Maybe I'm not understanding it? With wet venting you can use 1 vent for the group I believe.... So the shower is vented through the same 2" vent as the toilet is vented as well as the sink. So one 2" vent for the whole bathroom. Something like the picture

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210825-105907_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210825-105907_Chrome.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 166

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ok yea it should be fine , something in description was confusing me but no problem the whole bathroom on one vent

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would look like this the sink would have a trap then use a sweep 90 to go down then a sweep 90 to the 3" trunk.
So that's not allowed, you need to vent the sink trap arm before the 90. [Which, BTW, for horizontal to vertical can be a quarter bend, it doesn't need to be long turn 90.] But as you are under the IPC, you can use an AAV at the sink (even on the trap arm within the sink cabinet, there are products made for that).

Then the rest of your diagram works. Assuming that's an ejector pit at the end of your drawing, keep the 2" vent through the roof rather than relying on the AAV to vent the whole bathroom group. The ejector pit will require a vent through the roof anyway, but the two vents can combine at a level above the highest point that the pit pumps to (or 6" above the sink flood rim, if that's a higher elevation).

Cheers, Wayne

Oscarmeyer28

Reaction score
So that's not allowed, you need to vent the sink trap arm before the 90. [Which, BTW, for horizontal to vertical can be a quarter bend, it doesn't need to be long turn 90.] But as you are under the IPC, you can use an AAV at the sink (even on the trap arm within the sink cabinet, there are products made for that).

Then the rest of your diagram works. Assuming that's an ejector pit at the end of your drawing, keep the 2" vent through the roof rather than relying on the AAV to vent the whole bathroom group. The ejector pit will require a vent through the roof anyway, but the two vents can combine at a level above the highest point that the pit pumps to (or 6" above the sink flood rim, if that's a higher elevation).

Cheers, Wayne
So if I went sink trap to a 45 then another 45 I could vent it this way since it wouldn't be a vertical to horizontal? I'm willing to use the AAV if for some reason going through the styrofoam is an issue.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let me draw your attention to the earlier statement I made that answers your question:

"Each trap (sink, tub, shower) needs a vent connection on the trap arm before the trap arm falls more than one pipe inside diameter."

So, no using two 45s instead of a 90 doesn't help. You have to connect to a vent (dry, wet, AAV, whatever) before the trap arm turns down.

As to an AAV or putting a regular vent in your ICF, either one works.

Cheers,
Wayne

Oscarmeyer28

Reaction score
Let me draw your attention to the earlier statement I made that answers your question:

"Each trap (sink, tub, shower) needs a vent connection on the trap arm before the trap arm falls more than one pipe inside diameter."

So, no using two 45s instead of a 90 doesn't help. You have to connect to a vent (dry, wet, AAV, whatever) before the trap arm turns down.

As to an AAV or putting a regular vent in your ICF, either one works.

Cheers,
Wayne
I see ok great thanks for the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks