Bathroom faucet drip

Users who are viewing this thread

joede

Reaction score
I have a bathroom faucet with a small drip - maybe every 5 seconds. I don't know what brand. Do I need a new faucet? How long should a faucet last?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
One drip every five seconds you say.

60 / 5 = 12 or 12 drips per minute.

12 * 60 = 720 or 720 drips per hour

Lets use the assumption that there are 90,922 drips in a gallon of water. How many hours will your dripping take to fill a one gallon bucket? Math below....

90,922 / 720 = 126.28 hours

So roughly every 5 1/4 days you waste one gallon of water. That is not so much in the big picture.

90,921.8 drops of water in a gallon, or for you metric folk – 20,000 drops in one litre

You will get better help if you show us the problem. Take a moment and snap a picture or two. Post them here and maybe you will get lucky and as simple fix is in order.

Read this discussion to learn how to post pictures on Terry's forum.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-post-images-on-terry-loves-diy-forums.57906/

joede

Reaction score
One drip every five seconds you say.

60 / 5 = 12 or 12 drips per minute.

12 * 60 = 720 or 720 drips per hour

Lets use the assumption that there are 90,922 drips in a gallon of water. How many hours will your dripping take to fill a one gallon bucket? Math below....

90,922 / 720 = 126.28 hours

So roughly every 5 1/4 days you waste one gallon of water. That is not so much in the big picture.

90,921.8 drops of water in a gallon, or for you metric folk – 20,000 drops in one litre

You will get better help if you show us the problem. Take a moment and snap a picture or two. Post them here and maybe you will get lucky and as simple fix is in order.

Read this discussion to learn how to post pictures on Terry's forum.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-post-images-on-terry-loves-diy-forums.57906/
Okay. Here is a picture of the faucet - no drip is in picture because as mentioned it is mild.

Attachments

• faucet.jpg
    faucet.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 462

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
index.php

Now we are talking.

I blew up the photo so it is easer to see.

Are you handy with a wrench? Most times replacing a faucet requires nothing more than a crescent wrench or spanner.​

joede

Reaction score
index.php

Now we are talking.

I blew up the photo so it is easer to see.

Are you handy with a wrench? Most times replacing a faucet requires nothing more than a crescent wrench or spanner.​
Thanks. I'm not handy with a wrench. But a friend of mine is and knows how to replace faucet and said he would stop by some evening and help me. I went to Menard's. To get parts for the faucet, they said I'd need the brand which I don't know. But replacing the faucet will also fix it. I got one there for $59 (I can always return or exchange it). An American Standard Westford 4 inch brushed nickel.

joede

Reaction score
This seems the faucet I got - but not in the chrome but Menard's nickel. I got it because it was a little cheaper than the Delta or Moen. But if people think it is low quality then I can exchange it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is no need to throw it away. Why don’t you just fix it?

It looks like this moen faucet to me. You would need to take it apart to be sure.
There is a little video in the link to show how to take it apart:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks